Follow Metropolitan Police

Appeal on the fourth anniversary of the murder of Erdogan Guzel

News   •   Jul 10, 2019 06:00 BST

[Victim: Erdogan Guzel]

Mr Guzel, a father of two, was fatally shot as he sat outside the bakery he owned in Lordship Lane, N22 on the evening of Friday, 10 July 2015.

Detectives have made a renewed appeal on the fourth anniversary of his death.

The CCTV is taken from a bus, which allowed the vehicle used by the offenders to pull out onto Lordship Lane immediately before the shooting took place.

It shows a car bearing the registration plate X824 ELE, however officers know that the true registration is actually X924 ELF, and that it had been altered by using black tape.

The vehicle was recovered eight days later a few miles away in the car park of a block of flats in Highgate. The plates have never been located, however, the vehicle was identified by its chassis and engine number.

The reward of up to £20,000 is offered for information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of the person[s] responsible for Erdogan’s murder.

An investigation was launched after police were called to reports of several shots fired in Lordship Lane, N22 at approximately 17:45hrs on 10 July, 2015. 

The offenders arrived in the black Honda Civic seen in the CCTV, and drove slowly up to the scene where between eight and ten young men were standing on the pavement.

A volley of shots were fired from an automatic weapon out of the rear passenger window causing the fatal injury to Erdogan, who was 42 years old.

After the shooting, the vehicle sped off along Lordship Lane.

Officers and London Ambulance Service were called to the scene and found two people who had been struck by the shots.

Despite extensive efforts by paramedics, Mr Guzel was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 51-year-old woman caught up in the attack, suffered serious although non-fatal injuries.

Mr Yunus Guzel, the brother of Erdogan has spoken about the lasting implications resulting from the murder of his brother.

In statement today, he said: “My brother’s children are now 19 and 21 years old and have had to endure the pain of losing him, during what should by rights have been carefree years.

“The loss of their father, who was taken from them in such a cruel way, has caused serious, emotional trauma. Although I have done my best to support them in coming to terms with this, nothing can make up for what happened that day in 2015.

“Erdogan was a key figure in the family bakery business and as such, the family has struggled to operate effectively without him – this has resulted in heavy debt and very sadly, his children have lost their family home in Tottenham.

“We could never have imagined such a terrible thing happening to our family and I grieve every day for my brother.

“I would like to appeal directly to anyone who has even the smallest piece of information which could assist police, whether this is about his killers or something else which you haven’t yet shared with the investigation team.”

Detectives are appealing for any information which will assist the inquiry in identifying the persons responsible and information regarding the vehicle in the weeks leading up to the incident.

Detective Inspector Mark Richards, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “It has been four years since Erdogan was murdered and his family have had to carry on in the knowledge that his attackers have not been brought to justice.

“The leads in this case have not provided a route to those responsible for his death, but this makes our resolve to catch them even more steadfast.

“I am appealing for anyone with information to contact us to help bring these people to justice and to provide some relief to the families affected by this.

“Erdogan was a totally innocent man running his family bakery and was a well-liked member of the local community. Due to this senseless act he lost his life and his children have been left without a father.

“The answer to this crime lies within the community and I appeal to them to come forward. The vehicle must have been used or parked somewhere in the weeks leading up to the shooting. The plates were disposed of somewhere and we would like to know details of that.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8358 0400 or Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Background:

- A total of nine people have been arrested as part of this investigation.

- One man, [I] 27, arrested on suspicion of murder bailed to late July 2017 and he was released with no further action.

- The other eight - five men and three women arrested in 2015 – were released with no further action.

- Detectives previously appealed to trace a man who was riding a mountain bike at the scene at the time of the shooting. He was traced and eliminated from the enquiries in 2015.