Detectives in Kensington and Chelsea have launched an investigation alongside the Council’s Environmental Health department after a man died and another man was left critically ill following a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a Kensington hotel.
Police were called at 13:48hrs on Monday, 5 March to the Mayflower hotel in Trebovir Road, Kensington following reports of a male found deceased and another person taken ill.
Officers attended with London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade colleagues also in attendance.
A man in his 30s was pronounced dead at the scene.
Next of kin have been notified, and a post-mortem will be held in due course. At this early stage the death is being treated as unexplained.
A second male aged in his mid 30s has been taken to hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
Both males are believed to friends who had been staying in the same room.
An investigation is being undertaken by Kensington and Chelsea CID in conjunction with RBKC’s Environmental Health department.
Initial tests indicated a high reading of carbon monoxide, though the investigation has not yet concluded.
The hotel was evacuated and remains closed while the investigation continues.
Two officers who responded to the initial call reported feeling unwell and were taken to a central London hospital as a precaution. They have since been discharged and are both well.
The scene has now been made safe.
Anyone with information that could assist this investigation is asked to call Kensington and Chelsea CID on 020 8246 0189.