Follow Metropolitan Police

LATEST: London Bridge terror attack

News   •   Dec 02, 2019 20:52 GMT

The investigation into the attack at Fishmongers’ Hall continues at pace.

Detectives from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command are working around the clock to establish and confirm the full circumstances of what happened leading up to and during the attack which took place at approximately 14:00hrs on Friday, 29 November.

From the extensive enquiries undertaken thus far, officers have found nothing to suggest that there were any other people involved in the attack. However, detectives, working closely with the security services, continue to make enquiries to ensure there were no others involved. The investigative priority remains to ensure that there is no related outstanding threat to the public.

As part of their enquiries, and with the assistance from colleagues from Staffordshire Police and West Midlands Counter Terrorism Police, officers carried out searches at two addresses in the Staffordshire and Stoke areas. Both of these searches are now complete and officers would like to thank the local community for their support whilst these enquiries were carried out.

Forensic officers are continuing with their work at the scene of the attack on London Bridge although the bridge was reopened to pedestrians and vehicles earlier this morning, Monday, 2 December.

Fishmongers’ Hall remains closed as forensic officers continue to gather evidence from the scene, and whilst this is being done as quickly as possible, it is expected to take several days to complete.

Detectives have taken statements from scores of witnesses who were present at Fishmongers’ Hall, or who were nearby to London Bridge at the time of the attack. However, anyone who was there on Friday or who hasn’t been spoken with, should contact the investigation team by calling 0800 789 321.

Officers also continue to trawl through hundreds of hours of CCTV footage that has been gathered, as well as review more than 500 videos and images that have been sent to them from members of the public. Anyone with images or footage related to the attack can send it to the investigation team via

The attack itself began shortly before 14:00hrs on Friday, 29 November inside Fishmongers’ Hall. The attacker was attending the venue for a ‘Learning Together’ event being held there and stabbed a number of people before being confronted by others inside the building. 

The attacker then left the building onto London Bridge, as he was pursued and then detained by members of the public, as well as a British Transport Police officer who was in plain clothes. Armed officers from both the City of London and Metropolitan Police arrived, confronted the attacker and shot him. A hoax explosive device worn by the attacker was recovered from him.

Tragically, two people were killed during the attack and they were formally identified as Jack Merritt, 25, of Cottenham, Cambridgeshire and Saskia Jones, 23, of Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire. 

Both were graduates of the University of Cambridge and were involved in the Learning Together programme – Jack as a co-ordinator and Saskia as a volunteer. Specialist family liaison officers continue to support their families, and both families have asked for their privacy to be respected at this difficult time.

A man, who was one of the three other people injured during the attack, was released from hospital on Sunday, 1 December and has been able to return home. Two women remain in a stable condition and continue to receive expert care in hospital.

Anyone with information that they believe may assist with the ongoing investigation should contact detectives in confidence, on 0800 789 321 or alternatively, call Crimestoppers, which is completely anonymous on 0800 555 111.

Our advice to the public is to remain vigilant and be alert, not alarmed. If you do see anything suspicious then, please ACT, and report it to police – either speak to an officer, call us on 0800 789 321 or report it via the ACT website.