Follow Metropolitan Police

Man guilty of manslaughter, Camden

News   •   Nov 14, 2018 16:03 GMT

[Zekeria Jama Quabdid]

A man has been convicted following a fatal stabbing in Camden.

Zekeria Jama Quabdid, 29 (06.02.89) of no fixed address was found guilty at Wood Green Crown Court on Wednesday, 14 November, of the manslaughter of 37-year-old Romeo Nkansah.

He will be sentenced at the same court on Friday, 30 November.

Detective Inspector John Marriott, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This was a senseless attack on a man who had been enjoying a night out with friends.

"Quabdid tried to avoid arrest by fleeing to Paris on the day of the assault, before making his way to Kenya. As part of our extensive enquiries and liaison with Interpol, we traced him to Norway and following close co-operation with the local authorities, we successfully had him extradited back to London.

"Our thoughts remain with Romeo's family."

Romeo Nkansah - a Dutch national who lived in Holloway - was stabbed to death on 29 May 2016 following an altercation with a group of men.

Romeo had been out with two friends in Camden Lock and at about 03:30hrs he and his friends were walking along Greenland Street, when they started chatting to a group of women.

At some point an altercation took place between Romeo and his friends and a group of men. The group made their way down Bayham Street and into Greenland Street and at some point Romeo was fatally stabbed.

Police and the London Ambulance Service were called at 03:46hrs and Romeo was taken to St Mary's Hospital where he died at 04:37hrs.

A post-mortem examination held on 31 May 2016 at St Pancras Mortuary gave cause of death as a single stab wound.

An investigation was launched by the Homicide and Major Crime Command and CCTV footage from the area was secured and captured a suspect holding a knife and fleeing the scene.

Eye witness accounts were obtained and police knew where it happened, how it had happened and that a Somali man in an Adidas tracksuit was the prime suspect; but detectives did not know who this man was.

As the investigation developed, an image of the suspect showing him minutes after the murder was circulated to Camden borough officers, they quickly identified him at Quabdid and the manhunt began to find him.

Enquires revealed the Quabdid had gone to St Pancras and caught the Eurostar to Paris, booking the ticket on the 29 May. He was then tracked to Charles De Gaulle airport on 31 May 2016 and it was found he had flown to Kenya.

In 2017 intelligence indicated that Quabdid had surfaced somewhere in Norway.

At the request of British authorities Quabdid was located and arrested by the Norwegian police on 22 February 2018 and extradited to the UK on 9 May.

When he arrived at Heathrow, he was arrested and formally charged with murder. He was, at this point, asked whether he had anything to say police, he replied, “Nope, nothing.”

Quabdid was charged with murder, but found not guilty of this offence and convicted of manslaughter.