Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed after firearm discharged during police chase, Lambeth

News   •   Aug 10, 2017 16:57 BST

[Kojo Kyei-Bamfo]

A man who fired a gun while he was running away from two police officers has been sentenced to ten years in jail.

Kojo Kyei-Bamfo, 26 (08.07.91), of no fixed abode, appeared at the Old Bailey today (Thursday, 10 August) after pleading guilty to possessing a firearm with intent to resist arrest, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition.

He was sentenced to a total of ten years' imprisonment with an extended three-year licence period.

Detectives from the Met's Trident and Area Crime Command began an investigation after two plain clothes officers saw Kyei-Bamfo, and another man, running along Sandmere Road, Brixton, at 04:25hrs on 3 April 2016.

One of the officers saw Kyei-Bamfo had a revolver in his hand and heard a loud bang, which was the sound of a shot being fired.

After climbing over a series of garden walls, Kyei-Bamfo managed to escape police capture. Later that day, he boarded a flight to Nigeria.

A search of the area revealed a black Smith and Wesson revolver, containing three unfired rounds of ammunition, as well as a blue jacket with a key to a BMW, which was used by Kyei-Bamfo.

A warrant was issued by Westminster Magistrates' Court on 12 May 2016 for Kyei-Bamfo's arrest and, in July 2016, a £10,000 reward was issued for any information that would lead to his arrest.

Kyei-Bamfo was arrested in Wateringen, Holland, on 8 March and was extradited back to the UK on 24 March.

Kyei-Bamfo was linked to the scene of the shooting by DNA evidence, including blood stains he left on a wall inside a flat he walked through to escape from police.

He was also positively identified in an ID parade by one of the police officers involved in the pursuit and a local resident.

On 5 May, he pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition. He pleaded guilty to plea to possession of a firearm with intent to resist arrest on 24 July.

In his basis of plea, Kyei-Bamfo said he had deliberately aimed the gun shot away from the officer chasing him.

Kyei-Bamfo said he had panicked and fired the gun to frighten the officers and avoid arrest.

Detective Constable Dermot Corcoran, of the Met's Trident and Area Crime Command, said:

"Kyei-Bamfo showed a complete disregard for the safety of the two officers by firing a shot as he ran away from them.

"Fortunately, the shot missed and they were unharmed, but this was an extremely frightening experience for officers who were carrying out their public duty.

"Kyei-Bamfo attempted to evade justice by fleeing the country but, thanks to good partnership work with the Dutch Police Service, we were able to arrest him and extradite him back to the UK.

"The lengthy jail sentence handed to Kyei-Bamfo reflects the severity of this crime and the potentially fatal consequences of firing a gun."

Acting Detective Superintendent Mike Balcombe, of the Trident and Area Crime Command, said: "This conviction demonstrates Trident officers will do everything in their power to catch and prosecute those who commit firearms offences."