Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for assaulting a police officer and obstruction

News   •   Jan 31, 2019 06:34 GMT

[Kiyarn Francis-Williams]

A man has been sentenced for assaulting a police officer and obstructing a drug search.

At Harrow Crown Court on Friday, 25 January, Kiyarn Francis-Williams, 18 (16.07.00) of Waterford Way, Brent NW10 was sentenced to nine months imprisonment for actual bodily harm and for obstructing a police drug search

On 21 August 2018, at 10:00hrs, officers were patrolling in car along St Mary’s Road, Harlesden, Brent, NW10, when they saw Francis-Williams in conversation with two known drug users. 

As the car approached, Francis-Williams started walking away with one of his associates [B] and refused to stop when asked by police. He also had two low-value phones in his hands.

When police attempted to stop him, a struggle ensued, during which he managed to hand the phones to an associate who made off.

Francis-Williams placed his hands around one of the officer’s throat before they detained and arrested him.

Francis-Williams was charged on the same day with actual bodily harm namely attempting to choke and suffocate a person with intent to commit an indictable offence. In addition, he was charged with obstructing a drug search.

Francis-Williams was remanded in custody and appeared at Willesden Magistrates Court on Wednesday, 22 August where he was released on bail to appear at Harrow Crown Court on Monday, 17 September.

Detective Sergeant James Allsopp, from the North West Gangs Unit, said: “This was a vicious attack on a police officer during a routine drug search. Any assault on an officer is unacceptable and the sentence reflects the seriousness of the offence.

“We are cracking down on the supply of drugs in the area and anyone who has any information should contact police.”

+ Francis-Williams' associate, a male aged 17 [B] was arrested at an address in Brent, NW10 the following morning for obstructing a constable in the execution of their duty. Officers also recovered the two phones, which were found to have been used in the supply of drugs.

He was charged with the offence on Wednesday, 22 August and pleaded guilty at the first appearance at Willesden Magistrates Court on 20 September, where he received a conditional discharge for six months.