Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for hammer attack

News   •   Feb 01, 2018 15:41 GMT

[Jailed: Kwakou Bekoe]

A man who brutally assaulted another man with a hammer following a petty argument between two groups has been jailed for nine years.

Kwakou Bekoe, 32 (23.12.85), of no fixed abode, was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Monday, 29 January having pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to possession of an offensive weapon and grievous bodily harm.

Police made a ‘dangerousness application’ which was accepted by the court and Bekoe was deemed as a danger to the public, receiving an extension of two years' imprisonment to his sentence.

The court heard that on 28 June 2017, at around 16:00hrs, the victim, a 26-year-old man, was standing with a group of associates outside the rear of the Seven Sisters Indoor Market, N15.

Bekoe and a group of his own associates then entered the area from inside the market, where they became involved in a verbal dispute with the group the victim was with.

As the situation escalated, one of Bekoe’s associates went to the victim’s moped and picked up a pole, which the victim used for work as a window cleaner.

As the victim attempted to stop him, Bekoe approached from behind. He took out a hammer from his waistband, which had a plastic covering over the head, and began to strike the victim on the back of the leg.

As the victim fell forward, Bekoe continued the attack, striking him on the body and the back of his head. The victim fell to the floor but even then Bekoe continued his assault, striking him with full force, 10 times in 10 seconds, before calmly walking away from the scene with the group he had arrived with.

The victim was taken to a north London hospital where he received stitches to the back of his head and treatment to cuts and bruises on his legs and shoulders. Were it not for the biker clothing the victim was wearing, his injuries would have been much worse.

At about 21:30hrs the same evening, an officer standing at the crime scene was approached by a man who informed him that one of the suspects was inside a nearby fast food restaurant on West Green Road, N15.

Officers went to the premise and Bekoe was subsequently arrested. During his interview Bekoe answered ‘no comment’ to all questions.

He was charged on 29 June 2017 with possession of an offensive weapon and grievous bodily harm and he was remanded in custody.

CCTV footage of the incident captured Bekoe launching his sustained attack. Witnesses claimed that afterwards he had walked away laughing.

It is thought the plastic covering on the hammer was used in an attempt to hamper any forensic evidence.

Detective Constable Rob Buckley, the investigating officer from Haringey CID, said: "This assault was as unnecessary as it was shocking. Bekoe attacked his victim, who was not even involved in the petty argument between the groups, and delivered an assault so ferocious it could just as easily have been fatal.

"His imprisonment will hopefully give him plenty of time to reflect on the needlessness of his actions, and also allow the victim some small comfort as he moves on with his life."