Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for life for fatal stabbing in busy high street

News   •   Mar 12, 2018 14:46 GMT

[Alando Bolt]

A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment after a fatal stabbing in Brixton which happened in the street, and during a summer afternoon.

Alando Bolt, 45 (17.06.72) of Adelaide Close, Lambeth, has been sentenced today (Monday, 12 March) to life imprisonment - to serve a minimum of 21 years - for the murder of 30-year-old Andrew Thompson in August 2017.

Bolt was found guilty of murder and possession of an offensive weapon on Friday, 2 February at the Old Bailey.

Bolt stabbed Mr Thompson eleven times during an attack in Atlantic Road, Brixton, SW9.

At about 12:50hrs on Friday, 18 August Bolt and Thompson had met in the street. They were seen to be talking, when Bolt suddenly launched an attack with a knife.

Mr Thompson, who was not armed and did not strike Bolt, was repeatedly stabbed by Bolt who then ran from the scene.

Police and London Ambulance Service were called, but Mr Thompson had suffered a series of serious injuries and his life could not be saved.

He was pronounced dead at 14.08hrs the same afternoon, less than 90 minutes after the stabbing.

The fatal wound was a stab wound to the chest which pierced his heart. There was also a serious wound to the victim's head and a defensive wound to the victim's arm.

Following the incident an investigation was launched by officers from the Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC).

Bolt was quickly identified as a suspect and he was arrested at 22:30hrs that same day at an address in Streatham High Road.

Clothing similar to that worn by the attacker was recovered and it was noted that Bolt had a recent cut to his right hand.

After his arrest Bolt was interviewed and made no comment. He was charged with murder on Sunday, 20 August, 2017. However in the run up to his trial Bolt admitted that he killed Mr Thompson.

His case was that there had been some previous dispute and when they bumped into each other they had argued. Bolt stated that he believed he was going to be attacked, so he stabbed Mr Thompson in self-defence.

This was rejected by the jury, who found him guilty of murder.

Detective Inspector Garry Moncrieff, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command (HMCC), said: "It is incredible that a trivial dispute led to murder and so much despair. Bolt deliberately armed himself with a knife and then carried out an unprovoked, vicious, and protracted assault - broad daylight and in a busy street.

"I do not doubt that this day will haunt those who saw what happened and I am glad the jury has seen through Bolt's spurious claim of self defence,and that the judge handed down a life-sentence.

"I hope this sentence will now bring some comfort to Mr Thompson's family and friends."