Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for making and distributing indecent images

News   •   Jul 07, 2018 06:00 BST

[Jailed: Regnoricus Shanmugam]

A man who pleaded guilty to making and distributing over 60,000 indecent images of children has been sentenced to three years’ imprisonment.

Regnoricus Shanmugam, 28 (16.06.90) of Trinity Road, Southall, was arrested on 20 December 2016, after intelligence indicated that an unknown suspect had been using the internet to possess indecent images of children at an address on Chaucer Avenue in Hayes.

The warrant was executed at this address where Shanmugam was present. He was arrested by officers after admitting that he had downloaded the illegal material.

His property was seized and he was taken to a south London police station for questioning.

During the interview, Shanmugam made a full and frank admission to downloading and possessing indecent images of children.

He was bailed to return to the south London police station at a date in early October 2017 and was not allowed to have any unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 18 and had to report to a police station once a week.

On his bail to return date, he was re-interviewed and further arrested on suspicion of distributing indecent images of children and engaging in sexual communication with a child. He was re-bailed to return at a date in late March 2018.

Due to the fact that further evidence regarding the distribution of indecent images came to light, officers attended Shanmugam’s address on Trinity Road on Friday, 12 January, and further arrested him for distributing indecent images.

A search of the premises was carried out by officers and three devices with memory cards were recovered from the property. Officers reviewed the new evidence and found that the suspect had been downloading indecent images since he was initially arrested in December 2016, meaning that he had committed the offence whilst on bail.

On 12 January, Shanmugan was charged with three counts of distributing indecent images of children and three counts of making indecent photographs of a child. He was remanded into custody and attended Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court on Saturday, 13 January where he was further remanded into custody.

On Monday, 11 June, he pleaded guilty to all counts. He was sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court on Tuesday, 2 July.

PC Ania Sudol, attached to the Met’s Online Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (OCSEA), said: “Shanmugan told officers in his interview that he knew that viewing or downloading these sorts of images was illegal, however he continued to do so, showing blatant disregard for the law.

“Analysis of computers, hard-drives and mobile phones seized subsequently identified that he had over 60,000 indecent images of children and had been involved in the large scale distribution of these images via instant messaging apps over a significant period of time.

“I’m thankful to all the officers involved in this operation in helping put a very dangerous man in prison for a very long time.”