Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for manslaughter

News   •   Nov 13, 2017 14:38 GMT

[Jailed: Zana Yusif]

A man who beat to death a fellow detainee at an immigration removal centre has been sentenced.

Zana Yusif, 32 (05.05.85), pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility at the Old Bailey on Monday, 8 May.

He was sentenced at the same court on Monday, 13 October to 15 years’ imprisonment with an additional five years on extended licence.

The judge ordered that he be deported after serving his sentence.

Police were called at approximately 09:15hrs on 1 December 2016 to reports of a man who had been assaulted at Colnbrook Immigration Removal Centre in Harmondsworth, West Drayton.

Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and the 64-year-old man, Tarek Chowdhury, was taken to a west London hospital before being transferred to a central London hospital. He died later that day at 21:24hrs.

When the officers arrived it became apparent that Mr Chowdhury had been beaten around the head by another detainee whilst he was in one of the cells in the induction wing. The victim was found lying on the bottom bunk in the cell and was taken into the corridor by staff who tried to treat him for his injuries.

Enquiries revealed that Mr Chowdhury walked into Cell Five, which was occupied by two other detainees. A few minutes later Yusif, who was not wearing any trousers, followed Mr Chowdhury into the cell.

A short time later one of the detainees left Cell Five, followed by Yusif who walked into another cell and closed the door.

The other detainee then left the cell looking panicked and flagged down a member of staff. Mr Chowdhury was then found injured and the police were called.

Witnesses told officers that Yusif walked into the cell and asked for a lighter. He then grabbed Mr Chowdhury and shook him before repeatedly punching him in the head.

Yusif, whose hands were reddened and injured, was arrested on suspicion of murder and charged the following day.

Detective Inspector James Stevenson, the investigating officer from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "Mr Chowdhury was viciously set upon by another detainee, and the ferocity of the attack ultimately led to his death.

"Yusif admitted to his role in the attack and has today been jailed and cannot pose a danger to others.”