Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for manslaughter in Islington

News   •   Dec 21, 2018 12:54 GMT

[Reece Williams has been sentenced to 12 years' imprisonment]

A man who stabbed another man to death following a dispute in a moving van has been jailed.

Reece Williams, 22 (09.06.96) of Northdown Street, N1 was found guilty on 27 November, at the Old Bailey of the manslaughter of 30-year-old Marcel Campbell from Haringey.

He was sentenced at the same court on Friday, 21 December, to 12 years' imprisonment.

The court heard that on Monday, 21 May, the victim, Marcel, had been out assisting a friend who worked as a delivery driver.

When his friend had completed his last delivery just after 17:00 hours, Marcel had asked him to drive the van they were in towards Islington to meet with an acquaintance.

He was driven to a block of flats in Killick Street where he met with Williams. Williams got into the van and all three men drove to Upper Street.

A short time later an argument took place between Marcel and Williams inside the van, which turned violent. Marcel's friend witnessed Williams punching Marcel repeatedly.

The van came to a halt outside a shop in Upper Street at around 18:30 hours, with Williams and Marcel exiting the vehicle. Marcel told his friend he had been stabbed.

There were many members of the public on scene who came to Marcel's aid and called the emergency services. Officers and the London Ambulance Service arrived and found Marcel with multiple stab wounds. Despite attempts to save him; he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Williams made off in the direction of Angel, with CCTV cameras showing him running south along Upper Street and briefly entering a beauty salon before turning right into Barnsbury Street and then left into Milner Square. The footage shows Williams wearing jogging bottoms that were covered in blood.

Williams was then driven to his home address by an unsuspecting couple who were in a car and noticed he was injured. A knife recovered by officers from the scene of the murder was examined and Williams’s palm marks were found on the blade.

On 24 May, officers attended Williams' home address but were informed he was not there, but the following day Williams attended a local police station and was arrested on suspicion of murder.

During his interview, Williams informed police that he had not intended to kill Marcel and had arranged to meet him to buy drugs. He alleged that it was Marcel and not himself that had pulled out the knife and he stabbed him in self-defence. Williams was charged later that day.

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This was a savage assault that resulted in the death of Marcel Campbell.

"The real motive behind this attack has never been established but by stabbing Marcel multiple times, Williams' has deprived a loving family of their son.

"No length of imprisonment can change what has happened, but I hope the family can draw comfort from the fact that justice has been done today."