Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for manslaughter of Oliver Dearlove

News   •  Feb 24, 2017 12:09 GMT

[Victim: Oliver Dearlove]

A man has been jailed for six years following his conviction for manslaughter.

Trevor Timon, 31 (22.05.85) of Heavitree Road, SE18 was sentenced to six years' imprisonment at the Old Bailey on Friday, 24 February having previously pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of 30-year-old Oliver Dearlove.

Oliver died following a single punch whilst on a night out with friends in Blackheath.

Speaking in her victim impact statement, Oliver's girlfriend, Claire Wheatley, said: "In Oli's final moments he was surrounded by those who loved him who were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to say goodbye, for which we are all grateful for as we know that there are some who are not given this chance.

"Whilst I would like to think that Oli knew we were all there for him, the saddest part of it is that he never got to say his goodbyes and he was taken from us too soon. At 10:22pm, that evening Oli passed away and this would be the last time I would get to tell him I love him face to face.

"His death was not the result of an unfortunate event such as a car accident or life-long illness but as the result of a senseless act of one individual in one moment of time, with no real meaning or justification."

Oliver, along with four of his friends had been enjoying a few drinks in Blackheath Village over the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. At 00:35hrs Oliver, with two friends, walked along Montpelier Vale, turning right into Tranquil Vale, where they were due to meet a pre-booked taxi.

Whilst standing waiting for this taxi, Timon approached Oliver and his friends. Timon hit Oliver in an unprovoked attack, punching him with such force that the pathologist stated that it had caused a catastrophic injury.

Oliver was taken by the London Ambulance Service to the Royal London Hospital where he died the following night, surrounded by his grieving and shocked family.

A post-mortem examination was conducted at Greenwich Mortuary on 29 August 2016 and confirmed - at the trial - that the cause of death was traumatic basal subarachnoid haemorrhage.

An investigation was launched by the Homicide and Major Crime Command. Following extensive enquiries, Timon handed himself in to officers at Lewisham Police Station on 1 September 2016.

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Watling, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said:

"This is a tragic case where a young man has needlessly lost his life because of Timon's uncontrolled violence. There was no reason for him to attack Oliver that night.

"They had both been out with different groups of friends, enjoying the summer weather. It is hard to comprehend how a normal day can end so sadly.

"Timon today begins his prison sentence but the suffering that Oliver's family and girlfriend have gone through continues."

Timon was charged with Oliver's murder but was found not guilty of murder at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, 22 February.