Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed for murder of his girlfriend

News   •   Aug 12, 2019 17:00 BST

[Jailed: Scott Clifford]

A man has been sentenced to more than 17 years imprisonment for killing his teenage girlfriend in Greenwich.

Scott Clifford, 33 (4.12.85) of Sewell Road, Thamesmead, was sentenced on Monday, 12 August at Southwark Crown Court, for the murder of 18-year-old Natasha Hill.

He will now serve 17 years and 165 days in prison. 

Clifford was found guilty on Tuesday, 8 August of Natasha’s murder and a further two counts of actual bodily harm and one of common assault relating to incidents prior. 

Detective Sergeant Andy Sheppard, from Specialist Crime, said: “Today, Clifford has received a strong and appropriate punishment for the vicious actions that resulted in the loss of a young woman’s life.

“Throughout the trial and investigation, Clifford has continually lied to officers and the jury about the death of Miss Hill, regularly claiming that her injuries were self-inflicted. Multiple strands of evidence were proven to contradict his made-up story; his abusive and violent ways have now been exposed. 

“The pain her family has endured and has been exacerbated by his refusal to take responsibility for his actions that night. I can only hope that his sentencing provides some kind of peace to them.

“The court heard that the couple had a volatile relationship during their time together. I would encourage anyone who is a victim of domestic abuse to seek help from either the police or any one of a number of charities that offer support.”

Officers and the London Ambulance Service at were called to a seriously injured woman at an address on Sewell Road at 04:22hrs on 15 April 2018. 

Natasha was found at the scene, with Clifford claiming that she had fallen down the stairs after feeling ill, following a day of drinking.

Clifford had said that she had thrown up multiple times before going upstairs to bed; after she allegedly fell, Clifford claimed to have carried her back up and put her to bed. He told police that she had no obvious injuries.

He then stated that he woke up and noticed Natasha was bleeding and had black eyes that were not there when he put her to bed. He called police and relayed this information to the call operator, adding that she was unresponsive. 

Paramedics arrived shortly after the call and pronounced Natasha dead at 04:31hrs, less than 10 minutes after Clifford made the call. 

A post-mortem examination was held the same day, and gave cause of death as a major head injury.

Detectives who investigated the case found a multitude of evidence at the scene which contradicted Clifford’s claims. 

For advice on how to report domestic abuse and details of charities that can help, please visit our website.