A man has been sentenced after he was found guilty of beating and raping a woman.
Osman Suleyman, 31 (20.11.1988) of no fixed address was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on 26 June to 16 years in prison and an extended five years on licence.
On Tuesday, 17 March, at the same court, Suleyman had been unanimously found guilty of two counts of rape, assault (ABH), threats to kill and false imprisonment.
At the start of the trial he had pleaded guilty to one further count of ABH.
The court heard how on 4 October 2019, Suleyman and a number of others were out in Woolwich Town Centre.
Amongst the group was a 23-year-old female, who was known to Suleyman.
In the early hours of Saturday 5 October, the group returned to a flat in Charlton, SE7. This was the home of one of Suleyman’s friends and Suleyman was temporarily staying at the premises.
Up to this point the evening had been good-natured, however Suleyman’s mood began to change. He demanded the victim perform sexual acts on him as payment for drugs and alcohol he had bought and, when the victim refused, Suleyman became violent.
He repeatedly struck her face using a knuckle duster and the sheath of a knife, and also kicked her. Suleyman then forced the victim to perform a sex act on him and he then raped her. Suleyman told the victim that if she were to tell the police, he would kill her.
The victim suffered extensive injuries as a result of her ordeal, receiving cuts and bruises to her face and bruising to her body.
Almost immediately, after leaving the address, the victim saw a friend who could see she was in distress and the friend called the police. Police attended and spoke to the victim, who was taken to hospital.
Officers located the address where the offence happened and forced entry, Suleyman was present at the location and arrested.
At the scene there were clear signs of disturbance with blood smeared on the walls and on a kitchen door. There was also clothing and bedding items in a washing machine which appeared to be bloodstained.
In interview Suleyman simply said he had not raped or assaulted anyone and answered “no comment” to all further questions put to him.
Detective Constable Ben Harrington, of the South East Command Unit, said: “This was a horrible crime and the victim was subjected to a dreadful ordeal. Thankfully she has been able to recover from her injuries, but the impact of such a crime goes beyond the physical injury.
“The Met recognises the traumatic nature of such crimes and that is why victims are supported by specialist officers. I hope that seeing the man responsible brought to justice will help her recovery.
“Suleyman is a violent man and the jury found him unanimously guilty on all charges. This is certainly one of the most shocking cases I have ever had to deal with. The violence used was appalling. Suleyman now faces a long term in prison for his crime; it is thoroughly deserved.”