Follow Metropolitan Police

Man pleads guilty to killing his grandmother on the grounds of diminished responsibility

News   •   Jul 23, 2018 15:53 BST

Image: Kordian Filmanowicz

A man has pleaded guilty to stabbing his grandmother to death in a frenzied attack at their family home in Mitcham.

Schizophrenic Kordian Filmanowicz, 21 (11.09.96) of Edgehill Road, Mitcham, pleaded guilty on Monday, 23 July at the Old Bailey to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility of 63-year-old Ilona Czuper.

Ilona had been stabbed a number of times and suffered severe head injuries.

Detective Chief Inspector John Massey, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This has been an incredibly sad case, the manslaughter of a beloved grandmother at the hands of her grandson while he suffered an episode of severe mental ill-health.

"The CCTV footage and forensic examination of the scene proved conclusively that Filmanowicz was responsible for this brutal and horrific attack."

Ilona's body was found shortly before 23:45hrs on Thursday, 6 July last year in the back garden of the family home in Edgehill Road by her daughter and granddaughter.

She had been repeatedly attacked and the bodies of the family's pet cat and dog lay nearby.

The court heard there were no witnesses to the attack but the evidence against Ilona's grandson Filmanowicz was overwhelming.

In the lead-up to the murder, he had refused to take his medication and began behaving erratically.

CCTV footage showed him walking away from his grandmother's house around 20:25hrs that day. It is believed he attacked her late afternoon as neighbours heard a noise, although did not realise what was happening.

The pictures showed him with a grey item under his arm and covered in blood. Police later found his strained tracksuit bottoms dumped in a nearby alleyway, soaked with the blood of Ilona and the pets.

Filmanowicz then headed back towards home, also disposing of his T-shirt on the way. The knife he used has never been recovered.

Having been told about his condition by his family, police began searching the area.

They found Filmanowicz in Figges Marsh, a nearby park, and he was arrested on suspicion of murder at 00:35hrs. He had bruises and cuts to his hands.

He was deemed not fit to be interviewed and detained under the Mental Health Act.

He was subsequently interviewed on 14 November and denied killing his grandmother or the pets.

The court heard Filmanowicz, a Polish national, had arrived in the UK around 2011. He moved in with his grandmother, mother and sister in 2016. They were worried about his mental ill-health; he verbally abused them, had mood swings and talked about being able to see the presence of demons in the eyes of his family.

In October 2016 he went missing for three days and was found by police. He was subsequently diagnosed as schizophrenic and spent time in psychiatric hospitals.

Over several months his condition appeared to improve and he returned to his family in May 2017.

However, he began to deteriorate and not take his medication and there were incidents of aggressive behaviour towards the family and their pets

On the morning of 6 July, he was at home alone with his grandmother. His mother and sister arrived home later that evening to find the house in darkness and immediately knew something was wrong.

The French doors were open and they could see the body of Ilona and the family pets.

Forensic examination of the scene showed Ilona had been attacked outside close to the house and had run down the garden trying to escape Filmanowicz. The animals were killed inside and dragged into the garden.

Filmanowicz will be sentenced on Tuesday, 31 July at the same court.