Follow Metropolitan Police

UPDATED: Two released with no further action in Parsons Green investigation

News   •   Sep 21, 2017 19:50 BST

Two men arrested as part of the investigation into the terrorist attack at Parson’s Green Tube Station have today, Thursday, 21 September, been released from police custody with no further action.

A 21-year-old man [B] was arrested in Hounslow at 23:50hrs on Saturday, 16 September. A warrant for his further detention had been granted by Westminster Magistrates' Court until 21 September. He was subsequently released.

Also released today was [D], a 48-year-old man arrested on Wednesday, 20 September, at an address in Newport.

Four men [A, C, E, and F] remain in custody under section 41 of the Terrorism Act in connection with the investigation. Warrants of further detention for two of them have been granted today.

A 25-year-old man [C] was arrested at around 19:00hrs on Tuesday, 19 September and a 30-year-old man [E] was arrested at around 05:10hrs on Wednesday, 20 September, at separate addresses in Newport. Warrants for their further detention were today granted by Westminster Magistrates' Court until Tuesday, 26 September.

A 17-year-old male [F] was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act after officers executed a warrant at an address in Thornton Heath at around 00:05hrs today. Officers are searching a property in the area.

An 18-year-old man [A] was arrested by Kent Police in the departure area of the Port of Dover at approximately 07:50hrs on Saturday, 16 September. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates' Court until Saturday, 23 September.

A police search of an address in Surrey is now complete. Searches at another address in Surrey, one in Thornton Heath and two in Newport are ongoing.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met Counter Terrorism Command, said: "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday.

"We have four males in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.

"We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption. However, it is important that we continue with these searches and I'd like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and cooperation."

He added: "As police and our partners do all we can to confront the threat, public vigilance remains as vital as ever.

"We urge the public to report any suspicious activity to the police by calling us, in confidence, on 0800 789 321, or in an emergency by dialling 999.

"We are asking the public to look out for anything that seems out of place, unusual or just doesn't seem to fit in with day-to-day life. It may be nothing, but if you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related, trust your instincts, then act, and call us."

The arrests in Newport were carried out by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU). Searches at the two addresses in Newport are ongoing.

We would like to thank the public for their patience and cooperation.