Follow Metropolitan Police

Man who launched fatal stabbing attack after broken windscreen dispute jailed

News   •   Dec 21, 2018 15:30 GMT

Victim: Arunesh Thangarajah

A shopkeeper who fatally stabbed a man to death after a dispute about a broken car windscreen has been found guilty of his manslaughter and jailed for 16 years.

Selliah Manimaran, 44, of London Road, Mitcham, was found guilty of manslaughter, and possession of an offensive weapon on Wednesday, 19 December.

Detective Inspector Helen Rance, who led the investigation, said: “Manimaran lured the victim - Arunesh Thangarajah - and his friend to his shop on the premise of a friendly drink. When they arrived, he was waiting for them in a nearby alleyway with a three inch knife.

“He was angry after being told that the victims had allegedly thrown a rock at his blue Vauxhall Corsa and shattered the windscreen the previous afternoon.

“It was a sinister ploy on Manimaran’s part which led to a brutal and fatal act.

“I am very glad that this man has been brought to justice for his actions that led to the death of Mr Thangarajah.”

Manimaran was found not guilty of murder and attempted grievous bodily harm (GBH).

He was sentenced at the same court today, Friday 21 December, to 16 years for manslaughter and 18 months for possession of an offensive weapon which will run concurrently.

Police were called at 03:29hrs on Sunday, 20 May to reports of a stabbing in the area of Upper Green East near Montrose Gardens and London Road.

Colleagues from the London Ambulance Service attended but were unable to save 28-year-old Arunesh Thangarajah who died at the scene.

Manimaran was arrested at the scene and charged on Monday, 21 May.

Arunesh, a Sri Lankan national who was homeless at the time of his death, was stabbed nine times. He had two injuries to the chest, one to the thigh and two in the lower back.

A post-mortem examination held on Monday, 21 May determined cause of death as a stab wound to the heart.

The investigation by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command established that Arunesh was assaulted by Manimaran after he and a friend were called by Manimaran at around 03:00hrs on Sunday, 20 May and asked to come to the SM Newsagents in London Road, Mitcham for drinks.

In a statement, Mr Thangarajah’s family said: “Nothing will ever bring back Arunesh. We are very upset by what has happened but pleased that Manimaran has been found to be responsible for the death of Arunesh.

“We wish to thank the police for the assistance they have provided to us as a family and we are very grateful for the way in which they have conducted the investigation and supported us.”

+ The attempted grievous bodily harm charge was brought in connection with an alleged assault of Arunesh’s friend who was with him at the time he was fatally wounded.