Follow Metropolitan Police

Man who stole car from funeral directors and drove around with 17inch 'Rambo' knife jailed

News   •   Sep 22, 2018 09:00 BST

Image: Knife seized

A man who was stopped by police whilst driving a stolen car containing a 'Rambo' style knife has been jailed.

Abdel Medjebour, 19, (03.07.2000) of Agar Grove, NW1, pleaded guilty on Thursday, 20 September at Blackfriars Crown Court, to driving whilst disqualified, driving and taking away a vehicle and possession of a bladed article.

He was sentenced to 20 months in prison.

On 15 June at approximately 15:00hrs, officers from the Violent Crime Taskforce in two unmarked police vehicles, were driving along York Way, N7, when they stopped a black Ford Galaxy driven by Abdel Rahim Medjebour, as it was coming out of Maiden Lane estate onto York Way.

Officers got out of the police vehicles, approached the car on foot and indicated for the occupants to get out, but instead the car reversed backwards and then forwards, endangering the officers.

The driver, Medjebour and three other occupants tried to make off from the car but they were detained by officers.

Officers searched the car and found a 17 inch (12 inch blade) 'Rambo style knife' wedged between the front passenger seat and the central console.

They also discovered a number of leaflets in the vehicle related to a funeral directors.

Officers contacted the funeral directors who confirmed that the company's Ford Galaxy had been stolen overnight on the 7 June 2018 in East Finchley.

The car itself was displaying false number plates and when officers checked the VIN plate for the vehicle, it confirmed that the registered owner of the car was the funeral directors.

Four men, all aged 19, were arrested including Medjebour.

Medjebour was already well known to police with a previous conviction for affray and was banned from driving on 16 March 2016 until 20 March 2018, with a condition that he had to take an extended test before he could apply for a licence. Checks with the DVLA when he was arrested confirmed that he had not applied for any driving licence including a provisional, which he needed to be able to carry out a test and therefore was still banned from driving.

Acting Detective Sergeant Ben Jefferd, investigating officer from the Violent Crime Taskforce said: "The arrest and subsequent conviction of Medjebour demonstrates the important work that the Violent Crime Taskforce do to keep communities safe and take dangerous weapons off the streets.

"On stopping the vehicle, a knife was found, which we believe Medjebour was going to use to commit serious violence. This conviction shows we will hit criminals hard and do everything we can within the scope of the law to prevent them from targeting law-abiding Londoners."

Chief Superintendent Ade Adelekan, Violent Crime Taskforce lead, said: "This is a fantastic example of some of the work being carried by the Violent Crime Taskforce, to stop dangerous criminals in their tracks.

"On a daily basis, operations like this take place across London, and our teams will continue to relentlessly pursue offenders like Medjebour. The message is very clear: if you carry a weapon, we will catch you and bring you to justice."