Follow Metropolitan Police

Men who battered construction worker with glass bottles and left him for dead jailed

News   •   Dec 08, 2018 07:15 GMT

[Image [L] James Henry and [R] Wesley Henry]

Two men who left a local construction worker for dead in Tottenham after battering him with glass bottles and blows to the head have pleaded guilty to GBH and jailed for 13 years each.

Wesley Henry, 24, and James Henry, 26 both of Castleford Close, Tottenham, N17 were jailed at Wood Green Crown Court where they had initially been on trial for attempted murder.

The court heard how both men and their victim, a 40-year-old man, was socialising with both men and all three were drinking in High Road, N17 near the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium where the victim had been working.

CCTV footage captured the moment the two men turned on the victim shortly after 0435hrs on Wednesday, 19 September who had been buying them drinks only hours before.

Both suspects set upon the victim and surrounded him brandishing glass bottles. As the victim tried to step away he was punched to the ground by Wesley before being glassed over the head by James. Wesley then returns to the victim and kicks him repeatedly in the head whilst he is lying unconscious.

The men then steal his gold chain and rifle through his pockets before making off.

A passing member of the public contacted police and London Ambulance Service after they spotted the victim lying lifeless and assumed he had been hit by a car due to the severity of his injuries. The victim suffered life changing injuries including a fractured skull, a bleed to the brain, and facial injuries.

Investigating officers pieced together the attack with CCTV footage and both suspects - who are brothers - were identified with the assistance of forensic evidence.

On Wednesday, 10 October, an arrest enquiry was conducted at the home address of both men were they were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. Both pleaded guilty to GBH due to the overwhelming evidence against them. Wesley claimed in interview that his heavy use of cannabis played a role in his actions.

The victim suffered permanent facial disfigurement and requires ongoing treatment for anxiety, dizziness and blurred vision as a result of the savage attack.

Two additional men, seen taking part in the assault, remain outstanding and are being sought by police.

Investigating officer DC Pembe Rayif from North Area CID said:
"This was a savage attack which appeared to be completely unprovoked. The victim is clearly trying to get away from all the males but was set upon by them all prior to receiving the first strike from Wesley. Once unconscious and helpless on the ground, the group target his head showing no mercy and even returning to steal his chain and search his pockets for valuables. I hope this verdict goes some small way to helping the victim move on from such a harrowing attack."