Follow Metropolitan Police

Misconduct hearing determines no officers committed gross misconduct

News   •   Oct 20, 2017 15:18 BST

The panel sitting for the misconduct hearing examining the standards of behaviour of four officers involved in following Henry Hicks in December 2014 has today, Friday 20 October, determined that none of the officers committed gross misconduct.

The officers - who were afforded anonymity during the inquest into Henry's death - all faced allegations that they breached the standards of professional behaviour in that they failed to follow orders and carry out instructions.

The panel, led by an independent chair, spent four days considering the evidence. That panel determined that the behaviour of the officers did not breach professional standards, and that the officers were not engaged in a pursuit.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner, Richard Martin, lead for Professionalism, said:

"Firstly, I would like to say I am sorry to Henry's family for their loss; my thoughts and sympathies are with them.

"Police officers fully understand that they will be asked to account for their actions, especially in the circumstances where a young man dies. The investigation into Henry's death was carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. Their independence is vital in such cases.

"Now a panel, independently chaired, sitting over four days, has given full consideration to all the evidence and made their determination.

"Every day in London we ask our officers to make difficult decisions in fast moving situations. Policing is a job that people sign up to because they want to help the public. Despite the very best efforts of our officers to give emergency first aid that day, sadly they were unable to save Henry.

"When the jury returned its narrative verdict at the inquest last year into Henry's death the Met carried out a thorough review of our pursuit policy, and we have continued to keep it under review ever since. We have a clear duty to the public and all our staff who serve the public to make sure we have the very best training and policies to support our officers on the ground."

Henry's death on 19 December 2014 was independently investigated by the IPCC. The misconduct hearing was a result of that investigation.

Two unmarked police cars followed the motorcycle that Henry was riding after the rider's behaviour caught their attention. Henry lost control of the motorcycle and collided with a stationary car in Wheelwright Street, N7, before the bike veered into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

The police officers and paramedics provided first aid at the scene but Henry died later that night in hospital.