Follow Metropolitan Police

Off duty officer foils potential moped robbers, Kingston

News   •   Dec 07, 2018 18:06 GMT

An off duty police sergeant, attached to the Met's South West Basic Command Unit (covering the boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond and Wandsworth) arrested a moped criminal just before he was about to carry out a robbery.

On Thursday, 6 December at approximately 14:10hrs, Sergeant Steve Clarke was cycling home from Kingston Police Station, along Tolworth Broadway in Kingston, when he spotted a moped with two occupants being ridden in a dangerous manner on the central pedestrian footpath.

Aware of the Met's continued efforts to tackle moped enabled crime, Sergeant Clarke followed the suspects along the road. He then noticed the suspects mount the pavement and ride along towards a number of pedestrians; a classic tactic employed by moped enabled criminals prior to committing a snatch theft.

After assessing any potential risk to members of the public, the suspects and himself, Sergeant Clarke intervened by grabbing hold of the driver before identifying himself as a police officer.

He asked members of the public to call for back up, which arrived shortly afterwards.

A struggle ensued whereby the pillion passenger managed to escape, however Sergeant Clarke, even after suffering an injury to his leg, detained the driver - a 15-year-old male.

Response colleagues arrived and the driver was arrested on suspicion of aggravated taking and driving away. He was taken to a south London police station.

South West BCU Commander, Chief Superintendent Sally Benatar, said: "I am very proud of Sergeant Clarke. His quick reaction and intervention have undoubtedly prevented a crime from taking place. I commend his professionalism and commitment to keeping south west London safe, even while cycling home for work.

"I'd also like to express my thanks to the members of public who came to Steve's assistance when they saw and heard what was happening - I'm very grateful for their support."

The 15-year-old male was charged with driving whilst disqualified from holding or obtaining a driving licence and bailed to appear at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, 19 December.