The operation into the unexploded World War II bomb has ended safely.
At 16:16hrs today, Friday, 24 May, colleagues from the Army carried out a controlled explosion of a World War II bomb found at a construction site in Kingston on behalf of the Metropolitan Police.
So far, limited damage has been discovered with a 50 metre radius of the detonation.
Police were called at around 09:15hrs on Thursday, 23 May, to a suspected World War II bomb found on a construction site on Fassett Road in Kingston.
The item was examined by specialist officers and we sought the assistance of the Army and other emergency services including the London Fire Brigade, London Ambulance Service.
Displaced residents were evacuated as a precaution. Cordons remain in place at this time whilst the site is assessed however it is anticipated that these cordons will be reduced in the very near future.
South West BCU Commander, Chief Superintendent Sally Benatar, said: “I would like to thank all local residents and businesses owners who have been displaced by this inconvenience. The response from the local community and Kingston Council has been so understanding and we are grateful for your cooperation. The displacement was for your safety – which was our top priority throughout. The matter of detonating this device was taken with the utmost seriousness and I’d like to thank the Army and the other emergency services for their assistance and support.
“Whilst cordons and displacement remain in place at this time, we are working as quickly as possible to ensure that residents can return to their properties. We don’t have a timescale for this yet while the site is being structurally assessed.
“There may also be some ongoing disruption to utilities in the coming week, as a result of dealing with this incident. It is not possible to qualify the degree or extent at this stage.
“Anyone affected can call Kingston Council contact line on 020 8547 5800. This number will be monitored 24/7 over the bank holiday weekend.
“Updates will be provided via @MPSKingston as soon as they are available.”
Cllr Liz Green, Leader of Kingston Council, said: "Our thanks go to the police, army and all other emergency services for dealing with this incident safely. Thanks also go to our fantastic local community, including businesses and the voluntary sector, who have come together and helped provide food and provisions to our residents during this time.
"We will continue to provide support to residents until such time as they're able to return home."