Follow Metropolitan Police

Teenager convicted of murdering 15-year-old Jordan Douherty

News   •   Dec 20, 2018 19:06 GMT

Victim: Jordan Douherty

A teenager has been convicted of murdering a 15-year-old boy in Romford.

A 17-year-old boy, of Newham was convicted of Jordan Douherty’s murder at the Old Bailey on Thursday, 20 December after a four-week trial.

A 16-year-old boy from, Dagenham, and a 17-year-old boy from Canning Town were both convicted of conspiring with others to cause grievous bodily harm to Jordan.

The court heard how Jordan Douherty, aged 15, from Grays, Essex, was beaten by mob and then fatally stabbed while he lay helpless on the floor.

The murder took place on Saturday, 23 June, after a girl arranged her 16th birthday party at the North Romford Community Centre on Clockhouse Lane, Romford.

The invitation to the party had been posted publicly on social media, with the result that a large number of young people attended.

However, the numbers were so great the community centre became overcrowded. The party was called off at about 21:00hrs and those attending asked to leave.

The 17-year-old from Newham and the 16-year-old had entered the centre together at about 20:25hrs and were together outside the venue, when the overcrowding became a problem.

The other 17-year-old arrived by bus and joined the group later.

Also, outside the community centre at that time was Jordan, who had attended the community centre about 15 minutes before the party was called off.

It is not believed that Jordan and the others were known to each other, but for some reason a violent altercation broke out between them in Clockhouse Lane.

Police were called at 21:05hrs to reports of a fight at the Community Centre and officers attending estimated they were faced with a crowd of around 300 youths.

It was while police were dealing with this large crowd, some of whom were hostile to the officers, the tragic events happened.

Jordan was pursued and chased by a large group of males along Clock House Lane and then went to the ground.

The 16-year-old started to kick Jordan as he lay on the ground, including on a number of occasions, stamping on him.

The 17-year-old from Canning Town ran up and also kicked Jordan

It was then, for no understandable reason, the 17-year-old from Newham, approached Jordan, produced a knife and then stabbed him twice.

One wound to the chest area entered Jordan's heart and caused a catastrophic injury, quickly proving fatal.

Emergency paramedics attended the scene, including two doctors, who desperately tried to save Jordan’s life. Despite their extensive efforts, Jordan died at 22:21hrs.

A post-mortem examination carried out on 25 June found two stab wounds on Jordan. One wound had entered the front of his left chest and had struck the left ventricle of the heart. The second wound resulted in damage to a major vein at the base of the right side of the neck. The cause of death was due to internal bleeding from both stab wounds.

The 17-year-old walked a short distance from the scene and pulled the knife from his clothing and gave it to William Nayya-Welly, 20, (30.03.98) of Shepherds Close, Romford.

He then left the area and Nayya-Welly hid the knife under the offside wheel of a car that was parked next to where they had been standing.

The knife was later found by police and forensics found Jordan’s blood on it and traces of DNA from Nayya-Welly and the 17-year-old.

Nayya-Welly was subsequently charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in relation to his handling of the knife.

He later pleaded guilty to this offence and will be sentenced at the same time as the other three defendants.

As a result of extensive CCTV enquiries and body worn footage taken from officers arriving at the scene, the suspects were identified.

A number of people also came forward describing to police the horrific events they had witnessed that night.

As a result of the investigation, the 17-year-old from Newham was arrested on 27 June and subsequently charged with Jordan’s murder.

The 16-year-old from Dagenham was arrested on 2 October and the 17-year-old from Canning Town was arrested on 8 September and both were subsequently charged as above.

Detective Chief Inspector Larry Smith of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “It is unbelievable the celebration of a 16th birthday should lead to the death of a teenage boy. Jordan Douherty was stabbed to death for absolutely no reason while he lay helpless on the floor. There is not a modicum of justification for this brutal killing and my heart goes out to Jordan’s family, who have been devastated by his death. The heartache for the family is a sentence that lasts forever.
“Those who carry knives must understand this is not a game, there is not a reset button and you cannot erase the consequences of using a knife. Young men are spending the best years of their lives in prison, while the friends they sought to impress slowly forget about them. Young men should understand what a life sentence really is, being caged, missing out on life and being released into a world that has passed them by.”

++ Detectives continue to appeal to the public to identify five people suspected of being involved in the brutal beating of Jordan.
Police are releasing images of the five suspects they are still trying to trace.
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 or contact via Twitter @MetCC. Quote reference CAD7737/23 June.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at