Follow Metropolitan Police

Teenagers jailed for Croydon stabbing

News   •  Mar 04, 2017 11:05 GMT

[Image: Shaquille Badley-Allen]

Two teenagers have been jailed after violence broke out at a birthday party they gate-crashed leaving one man stabbed.

Shaquille Badley-Allen, 18 (24.12.98) of Windsor Road, Thornton Heath was found guilty at Croydon Crown Court on Friday, 3 March of grievous bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon.

He was sentenced to 11 years imprisonment with four years on extended licence.

A 14-year-old boy from Croydon had previously pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to grievous bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon. He was sentenced to four years and eight months with a three-year extended licence.

He was also sentenced on Friday, 3 March at the same court.

Detective Inspector David Bowen, from the Trident and Area Crime Command, said: "This case highlights the dangers that come from carrying a knife, and the sentences imposed are a reminder that violence of this nature will not be tolerated.

"A day that started out as a fun celebration of a girl's birthday ended in the stabbing of a young man simply because the suspects did not want to leave.

"The Met remains committed to tackling knife crime, and the recent phase of Operation Sceptre - our response to habitual knife carriers and associated knife crime - saw more than 260 arrests made and in excess of 110 knives seized."

On 30 January 2016 at about 21:37hrs, police were called to reports of stabbing at a residential address on Nottingham Road in Croydon.

Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found a 24-year-old man suffering from four stab wounds. He was taken to a south London hospital for treatment before being discharged.

Local officers quickly established that a number of teenagers had attended a supervised party at the house. A group of youths, who were not invited, joined the party. When asked to leave, they refused and began to cause a disturbance. The victim, who was a supervisor at the party, was stabbed during the melee.

Two knives were found outside the house and a subsequent search of the local area found a third weapon.

Detectives from the Trident and Area Crime Command launched an investigation.

Badley-Allen was identified as one of the suspect and following lengthy enquiries to trace him, he surrendered to a police station and was charged on 16 February 2016.

The second teenager was also traced by detectives and charged on 12 April 2016.