Follow Metropolitan Police

Three jailed for beating a pregnant woman

News   •   Jul 08, 2019 18:31 BST

[Pearson and McKenna]

Three people who held a teenage girl against her will and subjected her to a brutal, sustained assault have been sentenced.

Harief Pearson – 22 (03.05.97) of Caple Road, NW10; Kydie McKenna – 22 (04.09.96) of Old Oak Lane, NW10 and a 16-year-old girl from Fulham were sentenced to a total of 25 years imprisonment at Harrow Crown Court on Friday, 5 July.

All three had previously pleaded guilty to their part in the assault.

The incident happened on Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at Pearson’s address in Caple Road, NW10. The victim, who was aged 17 at the time, had recently found out she was pregnant with Pearson’s child. Pearson had demanded she have an abortion but the victim did not want to.

On 12 December, the victim attended Pearson’s address – when she arrived the 16-year-old female defendant, who was aged 15 at the time of the incident, was also there. 

Pearson and the victim argued and when the victim said she wanted to leave, Pearson took the victim’s phone and told her she couldn’t. A short while later McKenna – a friend of Pearson’s– arrived at the address; it was then that the violence started.

Pearson left the bedroom where they all were and McKenna and the 16-year-old girl attacked the victim, pulling her to the floor and kicking her repeatedly in the stomach, back and face. During the sustained assault, comments were made to the victim that this was a way to get rid of the unborn child.

After around 20 minutes, Pearson came back into the room and ordered the assault to stop. However, after asking the victim whether she thought she had miscarried, Pearson ordered the attack to start again.

This time, as the assault continued, the younger assailant forced detergent into the victim’s mouth. The second attack only ceased when Pearson feared his mother was about to return. He ordered the female suspect to hastily clear up the blood and then McKenna escorted the victim from the address.

Before leaving, the victim was threatened by Pearson that if she told the police he would take out a £10,000 contract on her life.

Once outside, the victim managed to convince McKenna to call her an ambulance and she was taken to hospital where she confided to medical staff that she had been attacked. Police were informed.

Pearson and the 16-year-old girl were arrested later that day at an address in Fulham. McKenna was arrested on 14 January.

Analysis of Pearson’s phone showed that, prior to the victim’s visit, he had made several internet searches about how to cause miscarriages during early pregnancy. During police interview, all three refused to answer any of the questions put to them. Despite this, all three were charged.

Detective Constable Nick Lee, from the North West Command Unit, who led the investigation, said: “I am incredibly proud of the victim in this case for showing such bravery throughout the investigation.

“This was a ferocious and prolonged attack on a vulnerable young girl who was held against her will and savagely beaten.

“While Pearson did not actually take part in the physical violence, he clearly plotted it and used McKenna and the 16-year-old girl to carry out his plan to cause the victim to miscarry her unborn child.

“Only when Pearson thought the victim had miscarried, did the assault end. His actions were truly sickening.

“Thankfully, the baby was unharmed and I hope this sentencing give the victim some closure, and provides her with the strength she’ll need as she embarks on the next chapter of her life as a mother.”

= Breakdown of sentencing:

Pearson pleaded guilty to attempted GBH and attempting to pervert the course of justice; charges of administering a poison to cause a miscarriage, theft and false imprisonment were ordered to lie on file. He was sentenced to a total of 11 years.

McKenna pleaded guilty to attempted GBH and attempting to pervert the course of justice. She was sentenced to a total of ten years.

The girl, who is now 16, pleaded guilty to attempted GBH, administering a poison to cause a miscarriage, theft and false imprisonment. She was sentenced to a total of four years.

Pearson and McKenna will also be subjected to an extended licence of two years.