Follow Metropolitan Police

Three jailed for east London shooting

News   •   Jun 29, 2018 17:58 BST

[L-R: Shamrat Hussain, Shibbir Ahmed, Forid Farhad]

Three men were jailed at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday, 28 June, to a total of more than 50 years for an east London shooting.

Shibbir Ahmed, 27 (25.01.91) of Malcolm Road, Bethnal Green was sentenced to 21 years’ imprisonment.

Shamrat Hussain, 32 (15.11.85) of Benledi Road, Canning Town was sentenced to 17 years’ imprisonment.

Forid Farhad, 22 (01.08.95) of Rainhill Way, Bow was sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment.

All three defendants were convicted on Thursday, 31 May of the following offences after a seven-week trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court:

One count of conspiracy to possess a firearm with intent to endanger life;

Two counts of wounding with intent;

Two counts of attempted grievous bodily harm.

Police were called at 22:20hrs on Friday, 15 July 2016 to reports of a shooting in Brady Street, E1.

Officers, including armed police, attended the scene and found four men suffering from shotgun wounds. The suspects had fled the scene.

The Met’s Trident and Area Crime Command launched an investigation into the shooting. Detectives used a mixture of covert and overt tactics in order to identify the suspects.

Throughout the course of the investigation, detectives discovered that Ahmed and Farhad entered the road at approximately 22:15hrs and approached a group of people who had congregated in a play area.

Ahmed was seen holding a weapon, which he then pointed towards the group and opened fire.

CCTV showed the two men fleeing the area shortly after the shooting. Ahmed, who was still holding the weapon, got into a car driven by Hussain, while Farhad made off on foot.

Following a thorough investigation by the Trident and Area Crime Command all three suspects were identified and arrested.

During the trial His Honor Judge Del Fabro called the suspects ‘dangerous offenders’ and commended Detective Sergeant Colin Hill and Detective Constable Matt Doohan for their thorough investigation and efforts in apprehending them.

Detective Sergeant Colin Hill, from the Trident and Area Command, said: ‘We are extremely pleased with the sentencings given to these offenders. One of the victims sustained serious injuries on the right hand side of his body, covering his right upper leg, hip and stomach area and all around his right forearm and elbow.

“The Trident and Area Crime Command takes all reports of gun crime very, very seriously. Hopefully these sentences will increase confidence within the local community where this offence was committed. Three dangerous men have been taken off the streets. We would urge anyone who suspects someone of possessing a firearm to tell the police immediately, so that we can prevent offences such as this from happening.

“This case should send a clear message to anyone considering carrying or using a weapon that we will identify and bring to justice those intent on putting lives at risk. I’m incredibly proud of my team for their dedication in working to take these men off the street.”