Follow Metropolitan Police

Three men jailed for life following fatal shooting in Ilford

News   •   Nov 14, 2017 15:55 GMT

[From left to right: Sami Omar, Suleman Roberto Mohamed and Jordie Kibusi]

Three men have each been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of 19-year-old Abdifatah Sheikhey.

All three had previously been found guilty after a trial at the Old Bailey on Thursday, 17 October.

Today (Tuesday, 14 November) at the same court, Sami Omar, 21 (18.02.96) of Kingston Rd, Ilford; Suleman Roberto Mohamed, 21 (08.07.96) Kingston Road, Ilford; and Jordie Kibusi, 21 (01.04.96), Wisteria Close, Ilford, were all sentenced to life in prison, to serve a minimum term of 30 years. 

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service (LAS) at 22:10hrs on 21 March to Bedford Road, Ilford at the junction with Ilford Lane to reports of a man unconscious after being shot.

Officers and the LAS attended and found 19-year-old Abdifatah Sheikhey suffering from gunshot injuries.

Paramedics provided first aid, but despite their best efforts, Abdifatah was pronounced dead at the scene at 23:22hrs.

A post-mortem examination on Wednesday, 22 March, at East Ham Mortuary gave cause of death as a gunshot wound to the chest and abdomen.

Following an investigation led by Detective Chief Inspector Chris Jones from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, three men were arrested on suspicion of murder.

Detectives pieced together the events of the evening to establish that Abdifatah, who was from Poplar, was sitting in the passenger seat of a black Mercedes saloon when a white BMW 4X4 pulled up beside his vehicle.

The vehicle contained the three defendants. The court heard how on the evening of the killing one of the three got out of this car armed with a handgun and with his face covered, and shot Abdifatah repeatedly while he sat helpless.

The shooting took place in Woodlands Road. The vehicle Abdifatah was in was driven the short distance to Bedford Road.

Omar, Mohamed and Kibusi then made off in the BMW, which was found abandoned the next day in Express Drive, Goodmayes.

The Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation.

CCTV of the incident and the surrounding area before and after the murder was retrieved and viewed, and officers were able to follow the journey of the BMW, and identify the suspects.

The BMW had been informally rented by Kibusi who gave a different first name when he picked up the car. The vehicle had a tracker device fitted, and it showed that the car was stationery at the scene at the time of the murder. Analysis of Mohamed's phone records also placed him in the area at the time.

The suspects were arrested on Tuesday, 28 March and Wednesday, 29 March, and answered "no comment" to the questions about the crime put to them. They were subsequently charged on Thursday, 30 March with Abdifatah's murder.

It is believed that the evening before on 20 March, the victim and Omar - who were known to each other - had a violent armed altercation in a fast food restaurant in Ilford Lane, and the murder was a revenge attack.

DCI Chris Jones said: "This senseless murder - believed to have been committed in retaliation for a clash between the victim and one of the suspects - has devastated Abdifatah's family.

"These three suspects went out with the sole intention of tracking down Abdifatah and causing him serious harm.

"With a firearm in their possession, this tragic outcome was inevitable. They now face a significant period in jail, and I hope the verdict will allow Abdifatah's family to come to terms with his death."

+ Two other men, both aged 23, who were arrested on 28 March on suspicion of murder were released with no action being taken.