Follow Metropolitan Police

Three sentenced for their part in Camden burglary in which a man died

News   •   Aug 28, 2019 16:56 BST

Three people have been sentenced for their part in a burglary in which a man from Camden died.

Neil Allen, 26 (15.12.92) of Fordhouse Road, Wolverhampton, who had previously pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary, was sentenced to 11-and-half-years in prison.

Jamie Cohen, 34 (07.12.84) of no fixed address, and Stephanie Haughton, 35 (05.05.84) of Leslie Road, Wolverhampton, had both found guilty of burglary following a trial at the Old Bailey on Friday, 7 June.

On Wednesday, 28 August, at the same court, Cohen was sentenced to four years in prison and Haughton to two-and-a-half-years in prison.

Sheiku Adams, a 48-year-old father of one from Camden died following an incident at his home on Thursday, 25 October, 2018.

A group of people had gone to his flat and kicked open the front door and forced their way into their home, causing Sheiku to jump out of the window to escape.

Sheiku’s wife and his teenage daughter were also present in the flat at the time of the incident.

The intruders threatened the women, one attacker was holding a ‘kitchen style’ knife with both demanding the whereabouts of property before ransacking the flat

Police attended after a call from a neighbour at 21:05hrs and reports suggested that a man had fallen from a third-floor flat in Denyer House, Highgate Road, NW5.

The fall caused multiple injuries to Sheiku who was rushed to St Mary’s hospital by the London Ambulance Service, but he was later pronounced dead.

The suspects had left the scene in a car, but enquires found the suspects had travelled from Wolverhampton to London to commit the offence, returning to Wolverhampton immediately after.

Allen, Cohen and Haughton were identified through the course of an investigation by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command. 

The three were arrested and charged with manslaughter, aggravated burglary and burglary in November 2018. 

On Friday, 7 June, a jury found Jamie Cohen and Stephanie Haughton guilty of burglary. 

Allen had pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary on Tuesday, 29 April and was remanded for sentencing at the Old Bailey.

A fourth person Nicola Green, 32, from Wolverhampton, was also charged as above, but was found not guilty on all counts.

All were found not guilty of Sheiku’s manslaughter.

Detective Inspector Vicky Tunstall, of Specialist Crime South, said: "We worked tirelessly to identify, locate and prosecute the people who were responsible for forcing their way into Mr Adams' home. This was a terrifying incident for all the family and undoubtedly, caused Mr Adams to fear for his life and fall to his death, trying to escape. No family member should have to witness the death of their loved one, in such circumstances, and there can never be any justification or sufficient explanation for why these people forced their way into his flat that night. I would like to praise Mr Adams’ wife, Kerry, and their daughter, for their dignity throughout this investigation and trial.

“I would also like to thank the investigation team who worked so hard on this case and identified the correct people and pursued every feasible line of enquiry available to provide the necessary evidence to convict. I am also very grateful to the members of the local community who supported the family by attending the trial and providing critical witness evidence. We cannot successfully prosecute those who commit such crimes without such support from the community”.

Kerry Adams, at the sentencing. said “Thank you to the investigation team who did an amazing job getting the investigation to trial. I am grateful and appreciative of the witnesses who came forward and also to friends and family who supported us throughout. We are, however, disappointed that the persons convicted of the burglary were not held accountable for the death of Sheikhu.”