Two men who arranged the sale of a firearm using an unsuspecting cab driver to transport the weapon have been found guilty of conspiracy to supply a firearm and ammunition.
- Tomasz Mysiak, 34 (02.02.84) of Quantock Court, Greenford
- Sebastien Hajda, 29 (12.09.88) of The Drive, Mitcham
The pair were convicted at Kingston Crown Court today, Wednesday, 13 June.
Mysiak breached bail and did not attend and was subsequently found guilty in his absence; a warrant has been issued by the court for his arrest.
Mysiak and Hajda pair were each sentenced to eight years imprisonment.
The conviction follows an intelligence-led operation by the Met’s Serious and Organised Crime Command.
The court heard that on Wednesday, 5 April 2017, the cab driver was working when he was contacted by Mysiak, who was known to him, asking him to collect a package from an address in The Drive, Mitcham.
The driver attended the area at around 19:13hrs; police surveillance observed him being given a plastic bag containing a box by another man, which he placed in the boot of the cab.
The vehicle was stopped and searched by officers who found the package which contained a handgun and 137 rounds of 0.32 caliber ammunition in the boot.
The driver was arrested but explained to the satisfaction of investigating officers that he was an innocent party and had been asked to attend the location by Mysiak and did not know what was inside the package.
Officers attended Mysiak’s address in Quantock Court, Greenford where he was arrested on suspicion of supplying a firearm and ammunition.
During a search of the premises officers discovered over £4,000 in cash that Mysiak said was for business and living expenses.
Enquiries continued; on 12 July 2017 officers arrested Hajda at his home address in The Drive, Mitcham.
During interview Hajda refused to give an account.
Officers were able to establish through mobile phone records that the pair had been in contact with one another regarding the weapon, with Mysiak acting as the buyer and Hajda organising the supply.
During interview Mysiak claimed to have been in another area with a friend on the day of the transaction and that his only interaction with the cab driver had been to arrange to be collected from Stansted airport; a claim detectives were able to disprove having observed Mysiak covertly at his home address. Mysiak further denied knowing Hajda or anything about the weapon.
Mysiak was charged in person and Hajda by postal requisition on 5 October 2017.
Mysiak was not remanded in custody.
Investigating officer Detective Constable Paul Hawthorn, of the Met’s Serious and Organised Crime Command, said: “We’re very satisfied to have secured this verdict against two men who conspired to use an innocent man to transport a firearm and a large amount of compatible ammunition.
“Even more importantly, we’re pleased to have removed another gun from London’s streets. This is a yet more evidence that the Met is determined to track down those concerned in the use of illegal weapons, that we will find them and bring them to justice.”
+ A third man, Lukasz Cecula, 28 (19.09.89), was found not guilty of conspiracy to supply a firearm and ammunition.