Follow Metropolitan Police

Two guilty of attempted murder that left man in coma

News   •  Mar 20, 2017 16:40 GMT

[Image: (L-R) Denizen Karadag and Jayson Duir-Kota]

Two men have been found guilty of attempted murder after shooting their victim in the head, leaving him in a coma.

Denizen Karadag, 20 (26.3.96) of Boyton Road, N8 and Jayson Duir-Kota, 21 (29.12.95) of Newland Road, N8 were convicted at the Old Bailey and will be sentenced on Friday, 24 March.

The court heard the 18-year-old victim, his brother and two friends had visited a petrol station in Tottenham Lane, Hornsey, to buy some fuel around 15:15hrs on Tuesday, 30 August.

There one of the victim's friends had a brief conversation with Duir-Kota who was also filling up his car.

Afterwards Duir-Kota contacted Karadag. Karadag knew the brothers and they'd had issues in the past.

Karadag headed in their direction on his bike and came across the victim and his brother in Turnpike Lane, N8 as they drove back from the petrol station.

They had an abusive and aggressive exchange of words before the brothers got out of the car and chased Karadag on foot until he cycled away.

The brothers continued their journey before parking in Denmark Road, N8.

In the meantime Karadag phoned Duir-Kota.

The pair met up and made their way on bicycles to Denmark Road, armed with a firearm. They had their hoods up and were trying to hide their faces.

Six shots were fired in the brothers' direction. One bullet hit the victim in the head above his right eye.

Karadag and Duir-Kota immediately got back on their bikes and made off.

Police, the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance attended the scene and the victim was rushed to hospital.

The bullet was found to have passed through the victim's brain before lodging inside his head. Scans showed extensive brain damage. The victim remains in a coma in hospital and doctors say it is unlikely he will ever be able to communicate.

Karadag was identified on CCTV as the man involved in the earlier altercation with the brothers and arrested on Thursday, 1 September.

Diur-Kota was also identified via CCTV and arrested on Saturday, 3 September.

Evidence showed the pair had rung and texted, or tried to ring each other 30 times in the hours following the shooting.

Both were subsequently charged.

Detective Inspector Joe Daly, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said:

"Only one firearm was used but the jury found Karadag and Duir-Kota equally culpable of attempted murder due to the clear element of planning involved in this incident.

"Although the victim's family remain as positive as they can, his injuries are so severe he will never fully recover and will need round-the-clock care for the rest of his life.

"It is an incredibly sad and needless situation and I hope Karadag and Duir-Kota feel the burden of their actions for a long time to come in prison."