Follow Metropolitan Police

UPDATE: Man sentenced for east London stabbing

News   •   Dec 01, 2018 06:00 GMT

[Convicted: Leon Scott]

A man convicted of attempted murder after stabbing a shop worker around 30 times in an unprovoked attack has been sentenced to a hospital order.

Leon Scott, 41 (03.10.77) of Drayton Close, Ilford, was found guilty of attempted murder at the Old Bailey on Thursday, 18 October, after a trial which started on Monday, 15 October.

At the same court on Thursday, 29 November, Scott was made the subject of a Hospital Order under Section 37 of the Mental Health Act 1983 and a Restriction Order under Section 41 of the Act, meaning that he will remain incarcerated within a secure facility indefinitely due to the risk he poses to the public or until deemed otherwise by health authorities.

Scott stabbed his 31-year-old victim multiple times during the attack on Ley Street in Ilford on the morning of 27 November 2017.

The incident was witnessed by several members of the public, including a mother with her young children, and a number of local schoolchildren.

The court heard that the victim was speaking to two people outside the shop where he worked when Scott, armed with two knives, suddenly launched his attack.

After several minutes, and having stabbed his victim multiple times in different parts of his body, he casually walked off towards the Jaffa Road Estate. Jurors were told that Scott tried to cut the victim's throat.

A member of the public intervened to stop the attack, and helped administer first aid before paramedics arrived.

The two knives used in the attack were recovered from the scene.

Scott was arrested a short time after the incident, and charged on 28 November 2017 with attempted murder.

The victim was taken to hospital in critical condition. He continues to suffer lasting nerve damage to his arm.

Acting Detective Sergeant Jeremy Collins, of East Area CID, said: "This was a frenzied, random attack which was unprovoked and came totally out of the blue.

"The level of violence used was absolutely shocking, and amongst the worst I have seen. The scene that unfolded that morning is the stuff of nightmares, and the victim has endured lasting physical injury and psychological trauma as a result.

"The victim was stabbed 30 times, and it is very fortunate that he was not killed. The member of the public who helped stop the attack deserves particular recognition.

"Scott was quickly identified as a suspect, arrested and taken into custody. He is a dangerous offender, and the sentence reflects that."

The following is an excerpt from the victim's impact statement: "I am in so much pain and I can't sleep. I feel down because of my scars and also the pain...I feel down, angry, depressed and I am scared to go out and I don't feel safe in public.

"I think about the incident all the time...I don't feel happy anymore, it feels like I lost everything. I have lost the will to live."