Follow Metropolitan Police

Woman jailed for stalking and malicious communications

News   •   Dec 12, 2018 14:03 GMT

[Jessica Nordquist]

A woman who carried out a determined campaign of stalking and faked her own kidnap has been sentenced.

Jessica Nordquist, 26 (07.06.92), a US national of Cavell Street E1, was sentence at Snaresbrook Crown Court today(12.12.2018) to four-and-a-half years in jail.

She was found guilty at the same court on Thursday, 11 October, of:

 - Two counts of stalking involving serious alarm/distress, contrary to Sec 4a of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997
 - Two counts of malicious communications
 - Perverting the course of public justice.

Nordquist carried out a prolonged and persistent campaign of cyber stalking against a male victim, sending scores of text messages and emails. She made false allegations about the individual in an attempt to bring his reputation into disrepute. She also made malicious communications against her then employer, who the victim also worked for.

On 24 January 2018 Nordquist was issued with a first instance harassment warning. On 26 January she was arrested, interviewed and released under investigation.

When officers attended her home address following her arrest, they found a number of sim cards for various networks, in both her handbag and her kitchen bin. They also found a toy deer she had stolen from the victim’s desk.

Around 20 Instagram accounts were found to have been created by Nordquist for the sole purpose of harassing the victim.

On 23 February she was charged with one count of stalking and two counts of malicious communications. She was bailed to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 4 May.

On 19 April her family, friends, colleagues and the victim received an email purporting to be from an alleged crime group, claiming they had raped and kidnapped Nordquist. Attached were photographs of her naked, bound and gagged. Further emails were sent claiming the group had broken Nordquist’s fingers.

The matter was reported to police, and officers swiftly established a crime scene at Nordquist’s flat in Whitechapel, where they discovered a disturbed scene, along with a kidnap note pinned to the front door.

Officers from Tower Hamlets Community Safety Unit and SCO7 Kidnap and Modern Slavery Unit launched an urgent investigation in an attempt to locate Nordquist.

Following numerous inquiries to trace her, on 21 April Nordquist was found alone, safe and well by Police Scotland in a B&B in Aviemore in the Scottish Highlands.

She gave them a false name and discarded two mobile phones in a toilet bin when officers took her to see a doctor to ensure she was fit to be detained. She also had disguise kits and camping equipment in a rucksack and booking confirmation print outs of accommodation she had booked in places further north of Aviemore.

Officers arrested her on suspicion of stalking. Met officers travelled to Scotland, returning Nordquist to London where she was charged with a further count of stalking and one of perverting the course of justice.

It transpired she had been wholly responsible for fabricating the story of her own kidnap. She appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on 23 April where she pleaded not guilty to all offences.

DC Joanne Farrell, formerly of the Community Safety Unit at Tower Hamlets, said: “Infatuation or revenge, Nordquist’s motivation remains unknown. She pursued a relentless campaign of stalking - culminating in faking her own kidnap and assault - that caused immense distress and embarrassment to the victim, his colleagues and loved ones; and even her own family.

“Throughout the investigation and trial, Nordquist has shown she is a compulsive liar and deeply manipulative. She was offered numerous opportunities to admit her offending and receive help but she repeatedly refused to do so, forcing the need for a trial.

“Her actions diverted police resources from real victims of crime. Her lack of technical expertise and clumsy attempts to cover her tracks by “hiding in plain sight” ultimately led to her conviction, which would not have been possible without the cooperation of UK mobile phone networks and other businesses - for which the Metropolitan police are grateful.

“I hope the severity of this sentence encourages male victims who are traditionally reluctant to report domestic abuse to come forward to police”