Follow Metropolitan Police

Detectives make twelth arrest following murder of Steven Brown in Hackney

News   •   Apr 29, 2019 18:00 BST

Image: Steven Brown

Detectives have arrested a twelfth person in connection with a murder investigation of a man in Hackney.

[L] A 22-year-old man was arrested on Friday, 26 April for the murder of Steven Brown, 47 who was killed on in Stoke Newington on Wednesday, 17 April.

The 22-year-old has been released on conditional bail to return to a police station on 24 May.

His arrest followed the eleventh arrest made earlier, on the same day.

[K] The 27-year-old man arrested was released under investigation.

DCI Paul Considine of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "We continue our detailed examination of the scene and are expecting more results through our forensic analysis however, we still ask the public for any assistance - if anyone witnessed Steven’s tragic murder or has heard anything since, for them to please contact police.”

Police were called at 17:47hrs on 17 April to reports of a stabbing on Matthias Road.

Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance.

Steven was found suffering from a stab injury. Police administered CPR prior to the arrival of London Ambulance Service, but despite their efforts Steven died at the scene at 18:10hrs.

A post-mortem examination held at Poplar Mortuary gave cause of death as a stab wound to the heart and haemorrhage.

Steven's next of kin are being supported by specialist officers.

Detectives can be called on the incident room number 020 8345 3865. Alternatively members of the public can call 101 quoting Operation Ringgold or leave information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Eleven people have been arrested prior to the most recent arrest.

Four people arrested on Wednesday, 17 April in connection with the murder have been bailed or released under investigation. A 62-year-old man [C] was bailed to return on a date in early May. A 33-year-old woman [A], a 57-year-old man [B], and a 58-year-old man [D] were all released under investigation.

Four men, [E] aged 25, [F] aged 25, [G] aged 25 and [H] aged 23, were arrested on suspicion of murder in central London on Saturday, 20 April. They have since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

A 49-year-old man [I] arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice on Saturday, 20 April has also been released under investigation.

A 24-year-old man [J] was arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday, 24 April. He was taken to a north London police station and subsequently released under investigation.