Four guilty of murdering NHS worker in Newham
Four people who fatally stabbed a 24-year-old NHS worker because he lived in south Newham have been found guilty of murder.
Mohammad Jalloh, 19 (05.12.01), of Watt Street, Wapping; Vagnei Colubali, 23 (18.01.98) of Suffolk Road, Enfield; David Ture, 19 (09.11.01) of Bloomsbury Street, Camden and a 17-year-old male from Telford, Shropshire were convicted at the Old Bailey following a six-week trial which concluded on Wednesday, 11 August.
They will be sentenced at the same court on Tuesday, 17 September.
David was stabbed at least nine times by the group as he walked down Freemasons Road, E16 while on the phone to his girlfriend.
He managed to stagger back to his home address where he collapsed on the ground outside. Despite being given emergency surgery in the street, David died soon after arriving at hospital.
Detective Chief Inspector Laurence Smith, who led the investigation, said: “David was a young man with ambitions to make something of himself but his life was cruelly snatched away at the age of just 24.
“He was not involved in any gang nor was he mistaken by the group for someone they knew. His only crime – in their eyes – was that he lived in the wrong part of Newham and so was classed as a rival.
“His family not only had to deal with the trauma of witnessing him dying outside of their own home but now have to face the reality of living without their son and brother for the rest of their lives.”
The court heard that on Sunday, 26 April 2020, the group – who all had links to gangs – armed themselves with knives and set out from a hotel in Stratford towards Canning Town in a stolen car fitted with false plates.
They had just one purpose – to hunt out a potential ‘rival’ from Canning Town which they saw as ‘enemy territory’.
CCTV played in court showed that less than an hour before they set upon David, the defendants came across another man who they chased, carrying their weapons in their hands. Fortunately, he managed to outrun the group.
Cameras on board a bus then captured the car turning its lights off and stopping beside David, who turned to run as the doors to the vehicle opened. The attack itself was also caught on CCTV.
His girlfriend, who he was speaking to at the time, heard a male voice ask ‘where are you from’ before the phone call ended.
Detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command quickly began an investigation and the stolen car was found abandoned in Lincoln Road, E13, less than a mile from the scene of the fatal stabbing.
A pair of sunglasses were found on the back seat of the vehicle, with DNA evidence linking them to Mohammad Jalloh. Another pair of sunglasses was recovered from the scene of the attack; DNA from the 17-year-old was found upon the left arm.
CCTV seized also showed the four defendants meeting up earlier that day, leaving the same hotel in Forest Gate and walking down the road where they had parked the stolen car the previous evening. The car itself is then captured numerous times on CCTV as it made its journey south towards Freemasons Road.
During a search of Ture’s address, a series of graphic drawings were located which appeared to depict the fatal stabbing. Not only was the address of the murder identified but the clothing worn by the group was also shown.
DCI Smith added: “The four defendants set out that night ready and armed for savage violence and it was obvious from the evidence gathered that their attack was premeditated.
“What they had not worked out was who their victim would be. They did not know David, they did not care who he was or whether he was involved in a rival gang. He was simply a fair target in their petty game.
“Our thoughts remain with David’s family who have conducted themselves with dignity throughout the investigation and trial. Nothing will ever bring David back but we hope knowing his killers will be behind bars brings some measure of comfort as they continue to grieve.”
David’s mum Marian said: “David’s murder is without doubt the hardest thing my family and I have been through. It is something that no parent should ever go through. While this has been painful beyond words, I am beyond grateful to God that today we have seen justice and the four men who took my son’s life have been found guilty.
“The family would like to thank all the first responders on the scene that fateful night; the media, the police, especially the investigating officers, who have worked so hard to secure justice for David Jason Junior Gomoh, who was such a charismatic, intelligent and focused young gentleman.
“Nothing will bring back a life that was so full of promise and hope, a life that was brutally taken away from us; but we are grateful that now we can begin to mourn and build a fitting legacy for David.”