Follow Metropolitan Police

UPDATE: Tenth person arrested released under investigation - Stoke Newington murder

News   •   Apr 24, 2019 18:30 BST

[Image: Steven Brown]

A man arrested as part of the investigation into the murder of Steven Brown in Stoke Newington has been released under investigation.

The 24-year-old man [J] was arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday, 24 April.

He was taken to a north London police station and subsequently released under investigation.

He is the tenth person to be arrested as part of the investigation.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information and witnesses following the murder of Steven Brown in Hackney.

Police were called at 17:47hrs on Wednesday, 17 April to reports of a stabbing on Matthias Road.

Officers attended with the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance.

A 47-year-old man was found suffering from a stab injury. Police administered CPR prior to the arrival of ambulance personnel, but despite their efforts, the man sadly died at the scene at 18:10hrs.

A post-mortem examination held at Poplar Mortuary gave cause of death as a stab wound to the heart and haemorrhage.

Although formal identification is yet to take place, officers are satisfied that the deceased is Steven Brown from Hackney. Steven's next of kin are being supported by specialist officers.

Detectives can be called on the incident room number 020 8345 3865. Alternatively members of the public can call 101 quoting Operation Ringgold or leave information anonymously on the Crimestoppers line 0800 555 111.

Four men arrested in connection with the murder have been released under investigation.

The four men, [E] aged 25, [F] aged 25, [G] aged 25 and [H] aged 23, were arrested on suspicion of murder in central London on Saturday, 20 April. They have since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

A 49-year-old man [I] arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice on Saturday, 20 April has also been released under investigation.

Four people arrested on Wednesday, 17 April in connection with the murder have been bailed or released under investigation. A 62-year-old man [C] was bailed to return on a date in early May. A 33-year-old woman [A], a 57-year-old man [B], and a 58-year-old man [D] were all released under investigation.