Follow Metropolitan Police

Further appeal following Newham murder

News   •   Sep 12, 2021 14:55 BST

Steven Fry

Detectives continue to appeal for information and witnesses following a fatal stabbing in Newham.

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 03:40hrs on Friday, 10 September to reports of a man with stab wounds inside a residential address in Ringlet Close, E16.

Officers attended and despite the efforts of emergency services, the man was pronounced dead at 04:14hrs.

His next of kin have been informed and he has been formally identified as 33-year-old Steven Fry, who lived at the address in Ringlet Close.

A post-mortem examination was held on Saturday, 11 September. Provisional Cause of death was given as stab wounds to the chest and leg.

Detectives from the Specialist Crime Command are investigating and enquiries continue to establish the circumstances.

The investigation is led by DCI Perry Benton. DCI Benton said: “I am grateful to those local people who have helped us as we begin this murder investigation.

“We need to speak to anyone with information, particularly anyone who heard or saw anything suspicious in the vicinity of Ringlet Close in the early hours of Friday morning. Even if you think the information you have may not be of great importance, please share it with police as it may help us piece together the events that led to Steven’s tragic death.

“To be blunt, this is one of those cases where I believe there are several people in and around Custom House who have a good idea what happened and exactly who was responsible. I am appealing directly to those people to consider what has happened here and to think of Steven’s grieving family. Whether directly to police or anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers, please tell us what you know.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 1570 or contact police via 101 quoting reference CAD 818/10Sep. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

= A 43-year-old woman was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder. She was taken to an east London police station and has been released on bail until a date in early October.