Detectives investigating the murders of three young people in north London last year are renewing their appeals for information to trace outstanding suspects still at large.
Episode two of the current BBC One documentary, ‘The Met: Policing London’, broadcast on 10 October featured the brutal murders and the subsequent investigations.
22 year-old youth worker, Kwabena Nelson, known as ‘Kobi’ was fatally stabbed in Tottenham in February 2018. Less than five weeks later 19-year-old Kelvin Odunuyi was shot dead in Wood Green, and in April Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, aged 17 was shot dead in Haringey.
Police were called at about 01:30hrs on Saturday, 3 February 2018, to Kemble Road at the junction of St Mary's Close, Tottenham N17, to reports of a stabbing. Kobi Nelson suffered multiple stab injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. Homicide detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime (North) began an investigation.
Neron Quartey, 21 (22.03.1997), of north London, was arrested in February 2018, and charged with Kobi’s murder. Quartey was found guilty of the murder in August 2018. He was sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 26 years.
Detectives made a further three arrests as part of the investigation. They have been released under investigation, however there remain outstanding suspects.
Tracy Anaafi, Kobi’s sister-in-law, said: “Our family continues to grieve; time doesn’t heal, it gets worse. It’s the occasions, Christmas, birthdays; where Kobi is missed the most. My seven year old daughter still asks where he is. Those responsible still live their lives. If you know anything or can help, please call the police.”
Police in Haringey were called to Hollywood Green, High Road, N22 at 00:32hrs on Thursday, 8 March 2018, following reports of a shooting. Armed police attended and found Kelvin Odunuyi suffering from a gunshot injury to the head. He was taken to hospital where he died a short while later.
An investigation was launched by homicide detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime (North).
A 21-year-old man [A] was arrested on suspicion of murder in the Archway area in March 2018, during an armed operation. He was later released under investigation pending further enquiries.
DCI Simon Stancombe of the Met’s Specialist Crime Team (North) who leads both the investigations said: “At the heart of both these cases there are two young men who have had their lives cut short while their killers are still free to roam the streets of London.
“Our commitment to bringing justice for their families is tireless and we are working around the clock. We are grateful for the courage and support from both their families, however we need the help of the community to provide us with new information no matter how insignificant you think it might be.
“We hope that with the passing of time those who felt unable to come forward may now be able to do so. Or that since these murders, someone, somewhere may have heard others talking about the details or have remembered something themselves from those two nights. If so, we implore you to come forward.”
On 2 April 2018 at 21:35 police were called to Chalgrove Road, N17 where Tanesha Melbourne-Blake was shot at from a vehicle. She tragically died at the scene from her injuries.
The vehicle used in the shooting was a grey/silver Vauxhall Meriva people carrier with the registration number of KS56 NKG. It was found burnt out in the Barnet area on 7 April, five days after Tanesha was fatally shot.
There have been five arrests made so far as part of this investigation. All five were released but remain under investigation.
Detective Inspector Beverley Kofi of the Met’s Specialist Crime (North) leading the investigation said, “It is now 18 months since Tanesha’s murder and we are determined to catch the people responsible and bring them to justice.
“Whilst we are making good progress, with a number of arrests made, we continue to urge people with information to come forward.
“This crime has left a family devastated. Any information, however apparently insignificant may assist police in solving this cowardly crime.
“Communities have a vital role to play in tackling violent crime and I urge anyone who may have information about crime or those who carry a weapon or, through exploiting people for gain or revenge, put young people’s lives at risk. Their information could save lives in the future.
“Community intelligence can be used to great effect to not only detect, but prevent crime. Please help us to keep London safe.
“We will deal robustly with those who seek to exploit young people and target the most vulnerable within our communities for the sole purpose of financial gain; often instigating violent acts and placing young people at risk of harm and criminalisation in the process. This must stop.”
Over the past four days, a further three young people have been murdered, and we are urging the public to come forward with any information that can either help solve these crimes or prevent further violence.
Anyone with information about the murders should call police by dialling 101.
If you aren’t comfortable contacting the police you can speak to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at Crimestoppers-uk.org. It is 100% anonymous and they never ask your name or trace your call or I.P address.
Young people who have information about violence or knife crime can visit www.fearless.org where they can pass on information anonymously. Fearless is part of the Crimestoppers charity, and is also independent of the police.
For a view on the inner workings of these homicide investigations you can watch episode two of the BBC One documentary, The Met: Policing London available now on the BBC’s iPlayer: