Gross misconduct proven against former officer
A misconduct hearing has found that a former officer who sexually touched a female colleague would have been dismissed from the Metropolitan Police Service had he still been serving.
Former Detective Inspector Jonathan Kent, previously based at Central West Basic Command Unit, was found to have breached the standards of professional behaviour in respect of discreditable conduct and authority, respect and courtesy at a level of gross misconduct.
Former DI Kent resigned from the Met on Monday, 31 May 2021.
The hearing which lasted four days and concluded on Thursday, 25 November, was told that on 12 December 2019 while off duty at a bar, former DI Kent touched a female colleague in a sexual manner. This included touching both over and under her clothing.
Chief Superintendent Owain Richards, Central West Command Unit Borough Commander, said:
“This conduct is absolutely unacceptable and there is no place for this kind of behaviour in the Met. No one should ever be subject to sexual touching of any kind no matter where it happens or indeed who the perpetrator is. The blame lays squarely with the perpetrator and they should be held accountable for their actions. It is right that if DI Kent had still been serving, he would have been dismissed without notice
“DI Kent abused his authority and seniority of rank to carry out these despicable acts against a colleague. Officers like former DI Kent have no place in the Met.”
After considering the evidence put before the hearing, the chair, Mr Darren Snow concluded that had former DI Kent still been a serving officer, he would have been dismissed without notice.
He will also be added to the barred list held by the College of Policing. Those appearing on the list cannot be employed by police, local policing bodies (PCCs), the Independent Office for Police Conduct or Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary.