Follow Metropolitan Police

Group who attacked and stabbed a man in the middle of a busy street jailed

News   •   May 17, 2019 18:35 BST

Image: [L - R: Shahriyar; Habib Ali; Chowdhury; Sallah Ali]

A group who attacked and stabbed a man in the middle of a busy street in Tower Hamlets have been found guilty of attempted murder and sentenced collectively to over 70 years in jail.

Three of the four convicted men were found guilty of attempted murder and GBH with intent. They are:

Alomgir Shahriyar, 23 (14.04.95) of Compton Avenue, E6 who was jailed for 24 years plus 4 years on extended license.

Mohammed Habib Ali - 23 (20.07.95) of Shadwell Gardens, E1 was jailed for 23 and a half years imprisonment plus 4 years on extended license.

Shakeel Chowdhury - 22 (23.09.96) of Jeremiah Road, E14 was jailed for 22 years imprisonment plus 3 years on extended license.

A fourth man - Sallah Uddin Ali - 19 (29.12.99) of Bigland Street, E1 - was found guilty of GBH (wounding with intent) for his part in the attack and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment in a Young Offenders Institute.

The court heard how the attack was due to a feud between the group and their 22-year-old victim.

On Friday, 1 June 2018, shortly after midday, Sallah Ali was stopped by police in Tower Hamlets and subjected to a drugs search. During the stop, Ali challenged the officers, immediately claiming he had been set up by the victim.

A short while later Ali phoned Shahriyar and Mohammed Habib Ali and a train of events was set in motion that would end later that day in the attack on the victim.

Later that afternoon, at around 17:30hrs, the victim received call from Sallah Ali who accused him of being a snitch. He asked to meet the victim.

Shortly before 18:00hrs the victim met Sallah Ali in Cable Street, E1. Shahriyar, Chowdhury and Mohammed Habib Ali then appeared - immediately the victim felt threatened by the groups' behaviour.

In a matter of seconds, the situation escalated with Shahriyar, Chowdhury and Mohammed Habib Ali attacking the victim. The victim sustained multiple stab wounds and collapsed in the street. A witness who knew the victim called his brother to alert him to what had happened; emergency services were also called to the scene.

The suspects fled the scene in a mini-cab but later engaged in phone conversations with the victim's family, with Mohammed Habib Ali admitting to stabbing the victim and others threatening them not to speak to police.

Police launched an investigation and all four suspects were arrested and subsequently charged.

Detective Constable Megan Bushell of the Central East Command Unit said:
"This was a shocking attack in the middle of a busy street in broad daylight.

"The victim received multiple stab wounds and, according to the surgeon who operated on him, if he had arrived at hospital seconds later he would have died. He has received injuries that will stay with him for life, leaving him no longer able to walk.

"Violence has no place on our streets - I hope these convictions send a strong message that it will not be tolerated and those responsible will be arrested and put before the courts."