Skip to content
Man convicted of manslaughter of Jobari Gooden

News -

Man convicted of manslaughter of Jobari Gooden

A man has been convicted of the manslaughter of Jobari Gooden in Peckham.

[A] Momodou Lamin Faal, 28 (19.01.94) of Lyndhurst Way, Peckham was found guilty on Thursday, 11 August at Southwark Crown Court of the manslaughter of Jobari Gooden, 27, on 17 December 2021 in the Peckham Rye area. He was found not guilty of murder and not guilty of possession of a knife.

Despite changing his appearance by dressing as a female and wearing a wig, obtaining a passport in a another name and preparing to flee the country, detectives from the Met’s Serious Crime Command were able to find, arrest and bring Faal to justice.

Faal will be sentenced at the same court on Friday, 16 September for manslaughter and possession of an identity document with an improper intention.

The investigation followed a call to police at approximately 15:15hrs on Friday, 17 December.

A fight had been reported outside a barber’s on Choumert Road, close to Rye Lane, SE15.

Officers attended and Jabari was found with stab injuries; he was taken by London Ambulance Service to a south London hospital in a critical condition.

Despite the efforts of medical staff, he was pronounced dead at 18:08hrs.

Detectives from Specialist Crime (Homicide) immediately opened an investigation.

Detectives began CCTV enquiries that revealed Jobari had passed Faal at 14:48hrs at the junction with Rye Lane and Hanover Park.

Jobari then went into a McDonald's restaurant with his girlfriend before leaving a few minutes later and encountering Faal again.

An altercation began and Faal stabbed Jobari a number of times in a sustained attack.

Faal then chased Jobari toward Rye Lane. Jobari was able to run for some distance before he eventually collapsed.

Faal meanwhile had stopped his pursuit and ridden off on a bicycle given to him by an acquaintance.

In the days following the stabbing, Faal moved to a number of different addresses in an attempt to evade capture.

A passport in the name Omar Barrow was obtained for Faal along with a one-way air ticket from Manchester Airport to the Gambia.

However, homicide detectives were closing in and on 23 December they used a search warrant to enter an address in Gillingham, where Faal was found.

Faal had changed his appearance since Jobari's murder – he had cut off his dreadlocks so his hair was short.

When arrested, he claimed that his name was Omar Barrow and gave a false date of birth.

During interview, Faal answered no comment to all questions put to him.

Detectives uncovered that Faal had worn wigs and dressed as a woman to disguise his identity as he had moved around.

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Howie, Senior Investigating Officer, said: "Faal claimed to have been acting in self-defence but was plainly the aggressor. He repeatedly stabbed Jobari in a frenzied attack in full view of horrified members of the public, who were shopping in the local market.

"Faal told the court that he was a drug dealer and he falsely claimed there had been a long history of incidents between the pair – but there was no justification for the disgusting violence that occurred that day.

“This was senseless loss of a young man’s life which has torn his family apart. Jobari’s Mum and friends attended every court appearance and were there throughout the trial. Jobari’s Mum will never get over the murder of her son, the plans they made together for their future will never now be realised. I want to pay tribute to her for the strength and resolve she has shown throughout what has been a truly harrowing trial. Our thoughts are with her today.

“My officers worked diligently to find and arrest Faal who was doing all he could to elude detectives. Despite all his efforts. we were able to find him, and put together a compelling case. I am glad the jury have been able to see through this web of lies and we have brought Jobari some justice.”

Jobari's mother Shawna Manboard said: My son, Jobari, was taken from me in the most brutal way. His life was taken in a place that he thought he was safe. We have still been given no reason as to why his life was totally destroyed and taken so senselessly. This nightmare has not ended.

"This has been incredibly painful, listening to the defendant blame my son for his own death. He has continued to show a blatant disrespect to his memory and our family. The damage that has been done has not only been to Jobari. Mine and our family’s lives will never be the same again.

“The day he died I died too and without him my life will be empty."