Follow Metropolitan Police

Man found guilty of murder of Lamar Stewart in Bow

News   •   Jun 18, 2018 17:16 BST

Victim: Lamar Stewart

A man has been convicted of murdering another man who he believed was responsible for attacking him at a birthday party.

Salman Ahmed, 23 (16.12.94) of no fixed address was found guilty today, Monday, 18 June of the murder of 21-year-old Lamar Stewart from Mitcham following a four-week trial at the Old Bailey.

He will appear at the same court for sentencing on Wednesday, 20 June.

Shortly after 02:30 hours on 30 September 2017 police were called to reports of a disturbance in Ropery Street, E3.

Officers attended and found a 21-year-old man, later identified as Lamar Stewart, suffering from stab injuries.

Lamar was attended to by members of the public, officers and paramedics who tried to save his life but he was pronounced dead at an east London hospital at 04.52 hours.

Detectives established that Lamar had been at the birthday party and was chased from outside the house by men in possession of knives. He was stabbed a number of times and was also punched, stamped and kicked whilst on the floor.

A post-mortem examination held at Poplar Public Mortuary on 2 October gave cause of death as a haemorrhage and stab wound to the chest.

One of the men who was part of the group that attacked Lamar was Ahmed; he had been at the birthday party earlier that evening at a house in Ropery Street

During the party, Ahmed was drunk and he became involved in an altercation with another male. He was asked to leave the property.

Ahmed did so but the incident continued outside and a more significant fight developed with Ahmed at the centre of it. At some point, during these altercations, he received an injury to his buttocks and thigh.

A short while later, Ahmed came back to the party with various males, a couple of whom had not been there earlier, and he wanted revenge. He was shouting that someone had stabbed him.

Ahmed had no idea who had attacked him. He and the group he was with began angrily asking people.

Ahmed eventually turned to Lamar who had been sitting outside with a friend and accused him of assaulting him.

Lamar told Ahmed it was not him but to no avail; Ahmed and another male encircled him to prevent his escape.

Lamar ran from the men who chased him and he was stabbed and assaulted. Ahmed was seen by witnesses above Lamar with a black bladed knife in his hand. He was also seen to kick him on several occasions to the back before crouching down over him and aiming blows down into the same area.

Ahmed was seen on CCTV minutes later heading with others for a cab rank in Mile End. His blood was later found on the rear seat of a cab he took to leave the area.

He was eventually arrested on 1 December 2017 at a flat in North Road, Southend. He declined to answer any questions when interviewed by police.

Ahmed was charged with murder on 2 December 2017.

Lamar's family in a statement said:“Lamar was a fine young man with a zest for life and an openness and love for his fellow human beings. We struggle to understand why someone would want to hurt a soul like Lamar’s. A soul so pure, entirely genuine, kind and loving.

"Salman Ahmed has not given any explanation for his actions and has offered no apology or sympathies from the time he was arrested to when he finished giving his account on the witness stand. His violent and aggressive actions took a beautiful, kind, loving person from this world, one that is remembered with great affection and love by many and who is, and always will be, dearly missed by his parents, brothers, sisters and extended family."

Detective Inspector Rita Tierney, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: "This was an absolutely tragic death of an innocent young man who was liked and loved by so many. Lamar was employed by Guys and St Thomas's NHS and at the time of his death he had just received a promotion at work.

"I want to pay tribute to Lamar’s family whose courage and dignity has been incredible. I would also like to thank all those who have assisted the investigation.

"Ahmed was on a mission that night to exact violence. After causing a disturbance he was intent on attacking someone to seek revenge. Sadly the person he attacked was Lamar Stewart, an innocent young man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know that Ahmed's conviction will not bring Lamar back but I hope it goes someway to healing the pain of his loss felt by his friends and family. Ahmed is an extremely violent man and now faces a lengthy custodial sentence."