Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed after brandishing gun at officers

News   •   Aug 19, 2019 20:00 BST

Jailed - Kadie Spence

A man who brandished a gun at officers has been jailed.

Kadie Spence, 31 (25.10.87) of no fixed address, was sentenced today, Monday, 19 August after being found guilty of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence following a trail at Inner London Crown Court on Wednesday, 17 July.

He also pleaded guilty to being a prohibited person having previously been convicted of a firearms offence in 2008.)

He will serve six years in custody and another three years on licence.

The court heard how, on Wednesday, 16 January, two officers from a Central South response team pulled over a Hyundai car on Warner Road, Camberwell.

This was part of a routine traffic stop as the vehicle was travelling at speed.

Spence, who was a passenger, immediately became confrontational, exiting the car, pushing past one officer in a bid to escape the scene.

There was then a struggle with between Spence and the other officer in attempt to stop him fleeing.

Spence was tasered at this stage by one of the officers unsuccessfully.

It was then that the officers noticed that Spence was holding a firearm.

Spence then pointed the firearm at one of the officers.

Taser was deployed again and the officers managed to disarm Spence and handcuff him to a set of railings.

The firearm was recovered.

When examined the firearm was found to be prohibited but could not fire live ammunition.

Spence was then taken to a south London police station.

Central South Borough Commander Simon Messinger said: “Despite being unarmed, the officers acted quickly and bravely to arrest this man.

“With previous history of possession of a firearm, Spence clearly has no consideration for his actions and has proven himself to be a dangerous individual more than once.

"I hope the sentencing highlights how seriously the brazen act of carrying an offensive weapon on London’s streets is taken by the Met."