Follow Metropolitan Police

Man jailed after four officers injured in Southwark collision

News   •   Jan 21, 2021 12:18 GMT

[JAILED: Haydon Martin]

A man has been jailed after making off from police resulting in four officers being injured.

Haydon Martin, 25 (19.09.95), of Fenwick Road, Southwark was sentenced at Inner London Crown Court on Wednesday, 20 January to four years and five months’ imprisonment having previously pleaded guilty to one count of causing serious injury caused by dangerous driving and one count of dangerous driving.

He was also banned from driving for seven years.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Ben Simpson said: ‘’It is a miracle that there were no fatalities as a result of this incident. Police officers all over the country work tirelessly day and night in order to protect the public. Whilst providing this crucial service last October, Martin subjected four such officers to a head on collision.

“Martin drove at 60 miles per hour in 20 miles per hour residential streets, on the wrong side of the road and under the influence of drugs before fleeing the scene with his passenger leaving injured officers trapped inside their vehicle – he made no attempt to call for help.

“I am pleased that justice has been served and hope that the sentence handed down helps the injured officers to progress with their recoveries and once again serve and protect the community.”

Shortly before 13:30hrs on 20 October 2020, four officers were in an unmarked police car whilst on patrol in the Southwark area.

A car, driven by Martin, was travelling at speed when it was in collision with the police car in Draycott Close, near to the junction with Edmund Street, SE5. His passenger fled the scene.

Additional officers, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade attended the scene. All four officers, as well as Martin – who was arrested nearby – were taken to hospital for treatment.

Two of the officers – the driver and front seat passenger – remain off duty as they continue to recover from their injuries.

Detective Superintendent Nicky Arrowsmith, from the Central South Command, said: “This was a horrific head-on collision which left four of our officers needing hospital treatment.

“One officer was seriously injured and three months on, two of the officers will be continuing in their recovery for some time to come. It was sheer luck that they were not permanently, or even fatally injured.

“Martin’s behaviour, and driving, that afternoon was deplorable, and he is now facing the consequences of his actions.

“Equally shocking is how Martin’s passenger ran from the scene leaving people injured. Our enquiries to identify and trace him remain ongoing.”

Anyone with information regarding the passenger is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference CAD 3656/20OCT20.