Skip to content
Man jailed for 35 years for his part in east London shootings that left one man dead and another seriously injured

News -

Man jailed for 35 years for his part in east London shootings that left one man dead and another seriously injured

A man has been jailed for 35 years for his part in two shootings in east London last year that left one man dead and another seriously injured.

Mushin Mohamed, 26 (06.04.96), of Leytonstone Road, E15, was sentenced at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, 14 June having been found guilty of murder and attempted murder at the same court the previous day.

A second man – Tyrelle Joseph 21 (16.09.00) of Banks Way, E12 – was found guilty of assisting an offender and jailed for seven years' imprisonment.

At 22:14hrs on 1 November 2020 police were called to reports of a disturbance in Balfour Road, Ilford. When they arrived they found Jason Diallo, who was aged 30 and from Ilford, suffering injuries and thought had he been hit by a car.

A short time later an eyewitness came forward and told officers the man had been cycling along the road when he was knocked off his bike by a car.

Two men got out and shot Jason in the head before they got back in the car and drove away.

CCTV showed that Jason had been deliberately knocked off his bike the vehicle, which was traveling at speed.

Despite the best efforts of emergency service, Jason died at the scene. Detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime Command were informed and a murder investigation was launched.

Just 15 minutes later, at 22:29hrs, police were called to a shooting around five miles away in Garvary Road, E16. A 27-year-old man was found with a gunshot injury to his shoulder.

He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service where his condition was assessed as not life-threatening. He later told officers that he had been standing outside a shop when two men pulled up in a car and started following him before shooting him.

Officers began urgent enquiries to trace the car involved and it was later found on fire in Solent Rise, E13, at approximately 23:45hrs. The Ford S-Max had been travelling on false plates and was stolen from outside a property in the Ilford area several days before the shootings.

An extensive review of CCTV was carried out to trace the people who were inside the car. The footage recovered also linked the car to the two shootings.

DNA examination of clothing recovered from the fire damaged car was matched to Mohamed. Forensic checks also confirmed the same gun was used in both shootings.

The evidence collected, including CCTV and phone data, confirmed Mohamed was one of three men who were in the car on the night when the shootings occurred. The other two men are yet to be identified, however enquiries are ongoing in relation to this part of the investigation.

Joseph was found to be a key player in planning the shootings and providing support to the three men after the incidents. He booked a taxi to pick up the men from near to where the car was set alright and took them back to his home address so they could change their clothes. He was also in regular contact with the occupants of the Ford S-Max during the time when the shootings occurred.

The investigation found no evidence that either of the victims were known to one another or had any previous connection.

Detective Chief Inspector Kelly Allen, the senior investigating officer, said: "Our investigation found both victims were innocent men who were selected at random in unprovoked and senseless attacks.

"We have found no link between the victims and the defendants and have been unable to establish any motive for the shootings.

"My thoughts remains with Mr Diallo's family and friends who continue to mourn his loss and I would also like to praise the bravery of the other victim who supported us throughout the investigation.

"I am pleased that our work has resulted in two dangerous men being convicted and they will now face a considerable time in prison. I am sure that London is a safer place because of this.

"The evidence we've gathered makes it clear that there were other people involved and we remain committed to bringing all those responsible to justice. The investigation remains open and we are still keen to hear from anyone with information that can help bring closure to those involved in this tragic case."

Jason's wife, who does not wish to be named, added: "The night Jason was brutally murdered will forever haunt me, the pain is indescribable.

"Jason had the kindest, softest heart and the thought of him dying alone in the street is beyond painful. He was my world and to have not had the chance to say goodbye, to remind him how truly amazing he was and how much we loved him is unbearable at times. I lost part of myself that night and life will never ever be the same again.

"Jason was a devoted father to our two children, the youngest only weeks old when Jason was murdered, they will forever suffer the consequences of the individuals who took their father's life.

"He was his mum's only son and a loving brother to his younger sister, who are deeply affected and miss him terribly everyday.

"For these individuals to kill a totally innocent stranger, who they did not know, in such a brutal, cowardly manner is beyond comprehension and although no sentence will ease our pain, it brings some comfort to know they will be spending many years of their lives behind bars.”

Anyone with information about that could help the investigation is asked to call 101 quoting Operation Shenley. You can also report information anonymously to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.

+ A 23-year-old man was arrested in May 2021 on suspicion of murder and attempted murder. He remains under investigation.

Subjects

Categories

Regions