Skip to content
Man jailed for over 20 years for attacking two women

News -

Man jailed for over 20 years for attacking two women

A man who attacked two women has been jailed for more than 20 years after an investigation by detectives from the Met.

Mohammed Tarik, 21 (22.09.00), of St Stephens Crescent, W2, was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, 8 July.

He was jailed for 20-and-a-half years and will have to serve at least 16-and-a-half years before being eligible for parole.

Tarik previously pleaded guilty at the same court in February to three counts of rape, two counts of actual bodily harm and one count of robbery.

Detectives began an investigation after a woman reported being raped by a man near to St Thomas' Hospital in Lambeth on the evening of 11 November 2019.

The woman, aged in her 40s, was approached by Tarik who began following her. They ended up in Royal Street where he punched her before raping her.

Tarik left the area after the attack and the woman walked across to the hospital where she received medical help.

Police were called and officers began urgent enquiries to trace the person responsible. A crime scene was set-up and several forensic samples were recovered.

These were compared against the national DNA database but there were no matches. Detectives also reviewed CCTV from the area but the suspect remained unidentified following the release of footage.

On 30 October 2021, police were called to an incident where a woman was dragged down an alleyway and assaulted by Tarik on the Hallfield Estate near Paddington.

He was disturbed by a member of the public who confronted him and contacted police. Officers attended the scene and arrested Tarik. The woman suffered minor injuries.

A DNA sample was taken from him in custody which resulted in Tarik being linked to the rape in Lambeth two years earlier.

The overwhelming evidence against him resulted in the Crown Prosecution Service authorising charges against Tarik and he was remanded in custody.

Detective Inspector Ian Kenward, the investigating officer, said: "Tarik is clearly a dangerous offender who posed a significant risk to woman. I am pleased that our investigation means he will now spend a considerable time behind bars.

"I would like to praise the two women involved in these cases who both suffered such terrible and frightening experiences and I hope this outcome brings them a small amount of closure.

"This case demonstrates the Met's commitment to tackling violence against women and girls. We recognise we have more to do in this area to ensure everyone feels safe in London, but we will do all we can to ensure victims are supported and offenders are brought to justice.”