Skip to content
[JAILED: Paul Thomas]
[JAILED: Paul Thomas]

News -

Man jailed for systemic sexual and physical abuse of ex-partner

A man who subjected his former partner to systematic, sexual, physical, mental and emotional abuse has been jailed.

Paul Thomas, 49 (24.05.72) of Sidcup, Kent was sentenced to a total of 19 years’ imprisonment at Croydon Crown Court today, Wednesday, 22 September.

He was also made subject to Notification Requirements for life and issued with a Restraining Order.

Thomas had previously been found guilty of eight counts of rape, two counts of assault by penetration, threats to kill, actual bodily harm and coercive controlling behaviour at the same court on Monday, 7 June, following an 11-day trial.

Detective Constable Nichola Buckley, the investigating officer, said: “Thomas allowed the victim to believe she was living in a happy relationship until he increasingly coerced her into an ever more submissive role.

“He went on to abuse her mentally, physically and controlled her through fear. She submitted to him in bed – this is not consent – she was not free to say no.

“I want to praise the victim for the courage and strength she showed to fully assist the police in obtaining this conviction and ensuring this dangerous man has now been put behind bars.”

The court heard how the victim met Thomas, who is a widower, in 2017. He preyed on her good nature, using his bereavement and status as a single father to emotionally blackmail her. He became violent towards her, throwing her down the stairs, pulling her hair and punching her in the stomach. He also repeatedly raped her.

On 27 December 2018 the victim spoke with officers in the Eltham area. She told them her partner had accused her of having an affair and had assaulted her. She did not wish to report him to police for fear of what would happen to his children.

The victim became so fearful of Thomas that she secretly recorded him persistently verbally goading her to argue with him, accusing her of being unfaithful. He admitted on the recording of his anger and for assaulting her in the past which he blamed on her.

He tracked her movements via her phone, and threatened her and her family if she left him. From time to time she took photos of her injuries and even filmed him as he tried to prevent her from driving away.

The final, terrifying incident occurred between Thursday, 7 November and Saturday, 9 November 2019. Thomas attended her address in the Penge area uninvited and throughout the two days he violently and sexually assaulted her, threatened to kill her and strangled her until she lost consciousness. She eventually managed to use her phone to call 999.

Thomas was arrested as he left the address and subsequently charged with multiple offences.

DC Buckley continued: “Thomas is a highly dangerous individual who had been quite rightly jailed for a significant period of time. He subjected the victim to significant violence and has shown no remorse for his actions.

"It remains a top priority for the Met to tackle and prevent instances of domestic abuse and sexual assault by putting offenders behind bars and bringing justice to the victims. I encourage anyone who has been a victim to contact police. We have specially trained officers who will give advice and take all allegations seriously. You will be supported."

If you need to report a crime, you can do so by contacting police on 101 or reporting online. Always call 999 in an emergency.­

+ If you have been a victim of domestic abuse, sexual assault or rape or you have information about an offender, contact police on 101 or 999 in an emergency – there are specially trained officers who will listen and investigate where needed.

Further information, including details of agencies and charities that can offer support can be found on our website

Subjects

Tags

Regions

Related content