Follow Metropolitan Police

Man sentenced after breaching his notification order by illegally owning a mobile phone

News   •   Dec 18, 2020 18:32 GMT

Shafi Saleem, 31

A man convicted of a terrorism offence has been further jailed after police identified he had breached his notification order by illegally owning a mobile telephone.

Shafi Saleem, 31 (03.03.1989) of east London, received a total of 10 months' imprisonment at the Old Bailey today, Friday, 18 December for breach of his Part 4 Notification requirements under Counter Terrorism Act 2008, which expires on 13 February 2029.

Saleem had originally been sentenced on 14 February 2018 to two years’ imprisonment for encouragement of terrorism, contrary to section 1 of the Terrorism Act 2006, namely posting numerous images and subversive messages promoting Daesh between 2016 and 2017 on social media. Following his release from prison in February 2019, Saleem was on probation licence and subject to a 10-year notification order.

Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command, said: “There are clear rules for registered terrorist offenders who are subject to notification orders and Saleem knowingly broke one of them.

“Notification orders serve a serious purpose and are an important tool to help keep the public safe from harm.”

Under the notification order, Saleem was obliged to inform police of any mobile phones he had use of. Through the ongoing investigations, evidence had been obtained that Saleem had failed to notify police of a mobile telephone that he had in his possession.

On Monday 13 July, officers arrested Saleem at his home address for a breach of his Part 4 Notification Requirements.

A search of the address and immediate area located his mobile phone outside of the rear of the address, which he discarded upon police entry into the building. Forensic analysis proved the device belonged to Saleem.

He was bailed to 13 October and charged with breach of a Part 4 Notification Order contrary to section 48 and 54(1) (A) Counter Terrorism Act 2008. He was bailed to Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 9 November 2020 where he pleaded guilty to the offence and further bailed to the Central Criminal Court on 4 December.