Skip to content
Man who killed teenager by driving drunk and on wrong side of the road is jailed

News -

Man who killed teenager by driving drunk and on wrong side of the road is jailed

A man who killed a teenager when he drove drunk on the wrong side of a road in Bromley has been jailed.

In May, James Biscoe, 21 (08.03.01), of Windsor Drive, Dartford, appeared at the Old Bailey having pleaded guilty to the following charges:

  • Causing death by dangerous driving
  • Dangerous driving
  • Driving over the alcohol limit
  • Failing to stop at the scene of a collision

He was sentenced at the same court on Friday, 6 June to seven years in prison, a sentence which took into consideration his early guilty plea.

Biscoe was also banned from driving for ten years.

Junior Alexander, who lived in Bromley, was riding his e-scooter at 01:20hrs on Sunday, 18 July 2021 when he was struck by Biscoe’s red Fiat Punto that was being driven on the wrong side of Southborough Lane.

The 16-year-old was thrown some distance before colliding with a tree. He suffered serious injuries and was found by members of the public around eight minutes later.

They administered first aid before police and paramedics attended and Junior was rushed to hospital. Despite the efforts of the medical team to save him, Junior died at 06:16hrs.

A post-mortem examination held later would give cause of death as multiple injuries.

Following the collision Biscoe had driven off. Debris from his car was found and police immediately set about trying to find the vehicle.

At 05:25hrs that morning police received a call to Southwood Close, Bromley, around one kilometre away from the scene of the collision, after a damaged vehicle was found.

Biscoe was found asleep in the driver’s seat with the keys in the ignition and engine off.

Officers woke him and noted his speech was slurred, his eyes were bloodshot and he smelled strongly of alcohol. A breath test was administered and Biscoe was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving whilst unfit through drink.

He was taken into custody and made no comment to all questions asked. He was later released on bail.

An investigation was launched by detectives from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, who worked incredibly hard to gather a wealth of evidence against Biscoe.

Specialist forensic work showed that at the time of the collision Biscoe would have had an alcohol level within his body of approximately 106 micrograms per 100 milliliters of breath.

The legal prescribed limit is 35 micrograms.

CCTV analysis confirmed that Biscoe had driven on the wrong side of the road and was traveling at a speed of at least 50 MPH at the time of the collision on a road that was is subject to a 30MPH limit.

Pieces of debris found at the scene – including a lower front grille and plastic skirting from the underside of the vehicle – were proven to be from Biscoe’s Punto.

Forensic examination also proved Biscoe to have been inside the vehicle, while mobile phone work placed him in the vicinity at the time.

Junior’s e-scooter, which had been thrown onto a traffic island by the force of the collision, was picked up from the scene of the collision by an unsuspecting member of the public who thought it had been abandoned and had not realised Junior was injured nearby.

The man later returned the e-scooter to police following a media appeal and no further action was taken against him.

Biscoe was charged in January 2022.

Junior's mother, Donna Lonergan, said: "Junior was a kind, humble, intelligent, respectful and handsome young man. He was very academic and was aiming to become a lawyer. He was waiting for his GCSE results to choose one of the four offers he was given to go on to further education. He never got to collect his results, the seven high B’s and two A’s, that he worked so hard to achieve.

"That man killed my innocent son. He made the choice to drive drunk, at speed on the wrong side of the road. He then left him to die alone on the road side. He didn’t even call him an ambulance to give him a fighting chance.

"Our lives will never be the same, we are broken. The night he brutally killed my son , my heart stopped beating. I love you Junior, you will never be forgotten, .forever by your side. Until we meet again."

Detective Sergeant Nick Bale, Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “Junior was a young boy who had his entire life ahead of him when it was cut short in the most awful of ways. The manner of Biscoe’s driving, and the condition he was in at the time, meant that Junior’s injuries were catastrophic. I know that life for his family has never been the same since, and they will continue to grieve for him for many, many years to come.

“Our thanks go to the members of the public who came to Junior’s aid, and the doctors and nurses who worked so hard to save him. And of course we are grateful to Junior’s family who have been so supportive of our investigation.

“Biscoe answered no comment during his interview to every question put to him, and attempted to frustrate our work by refusing to disclose the PIN number for his phone. But my team worked meticulously and their efforts left him with no option but to plead guilty.”