Follow Metropolitan Police

Men jailed following aggravated burglary in Peckham

News   •   May 17, 2019 07:00 BST

[Images of the defendants]

A group of men have been jailed following an aggravated burglary in Peckham.

On Friday, 12 April, Jordan Edwards, 26 (31.12.92) of Hillbeck Close, Southwark; George Owherho, 27 (27.10.91) of Palace Road, Lambeth; and, Blake Talbot, 25 (10.06.93) of Longfield Estate, Southwark, were found guilty of aggravated burglary following a two-week trial at Southwark Crown Court.

Edwards was also found guilty of an assault against an emergency worker during his arrest.

They were sentenced on Thursday, 16 May as follows:

- Edwards was jailed for 12 years and eight months.
- Owherho was jailed for 12 years.
- Talbot was jailed for 11-and-a-half years.

Dharnell Depeazer, 20 (01.09.98) of Mayville Road, Waltham Forest, pleaded guilty to the same offence at an earlier hearing and was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years.

The court heard that on 9 October 2018, Depeazer knocked on the door of a property in Peckham in Southwark, disguising himself as a delivery driver and carrying a parcel.

When the 24-year-old victim answered the door, Depeazer forced his way into the address, followed quickly behind by Edwards, Owherho and Talbot.

They then threatened the family – including a 16-year-old child – with knives, forcing them to hand over cash, cheques, jewellery and a mobile phone.

During the incident, a 46-year-old female victim was dragged across the floor while another was placed in a headlock.

Nearby workmen heard screams from the property and called police, who arrived at the location to see the four suspects running down the road.

Owhereho and Edwards were arrested at the scene and taken into custody.

Following a thorough investigation by the Met’s Central South CID, officers linked Talbot to the incident after his DNA was matched to clothing he discarded at the scene. He was arrested on 21 November 2018.

The final suspect, Depeazer, was arrested on Wednesday, 10 April, after he was identified from doorbell CCTV at the property.

A hat he was wearing in his disguise as a delivery driver also provided a forensic link.

Detective Constable Debbie Kitchen, who led the investigation, said: “This was a terrifying incident for the victims involved and one which will stay with them for a very long time.

“We want to pay tribute to them for providing crucial evidence during the trial despite meaning they had to relive their ordeal.

“We hope that these sentences bring them some kind of closure and show we are committed to getting such violent and callous individuals off our streets.”