Follow Metropolitan Police

Three men involved in shooting of man in Southwark jailed

News   •   May 10, 2019 17:13 BST

[L to R] Fredrico Charles, Ian Ford, Kieron Holt

Three men involved in a shooting in Southwark that left a man blinded in one eye have been sentenced to a combined total of 57 years in jail.

Ian Ford, 33 (02.05.1985) of Ilderton Road, SE15 was found guilty on Monday, 25 March of attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life. He has been sentenced to 25 years' imprisonment.

Fredrico Charles, 24 (21.09.1994) of Choumert Road, SE15 was found guilty on Tuesday, 26 March of grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent.
He has been sentenced to eight years' imprisonment.

A third man, Kieron Holt, 25 (09.02.1994) of McNeil Road SE5 previously plead guilty at an earlier hearing on 10 August 2018 to attempted murder and possession of a firearm with the intent to endanger life.
He has been sentenced to 24 years' imprisonment.

All three men were sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday, 10 May.

The court heard on Saturday, 2 June 2018 at approximately 19:56hrs, police were called to Southampton Way to reports of a shooting in the area.

Officers, including armed officers, attended and found two men, aged 22 and 25, suffering from gunshot injuries.

The court heard how in the lead up to the attack, the two victims were driving along Southampton Way when they began being pursued by another vehicle.

The suspect vehicle then collided with the victims’ car, causing it to stop, before pointing a firearm out of the window and shooting it twice at the victims’ car.

The vehicle was driven off immediately leaving the two men suffering from gunshot injuries.

The victims then exited the vehicle and ran away on foot to seek safety at a nearby bus shelter where an off duty doctor provided medical support until emergency services arrived.

The driver of the vehicle, a 22-year-old man, suffered gun shots to the face and torso, a broken jaw and now remains blinded in one eye.

The 25-year-old passenger did not suffer serious injuries.

Officers from the Met’s Trident and Area Command launched an investigation to identify and apprehend those responsible.

Subsequent CCTV enquiries identified Ford and Holt in the vehicle that the shots were fired from. Following an extensive manhunt, Ford was arrested by armed police on Thursday, 7 June 2018 and Holt was subsequently arrested on Tuesday, 12 June 2018.

Through phone and CCTV enquiries, the investigation found that Charles was in a vehicle close by in convoy with Holt and Ford during the attack.

Detective Sergeant Jo Ross, the officer in the case, said: “This was a brutal attack which left one man suffering life changing injuries which he will sadly never recover fully from. The victim still requires ongoing medical care as a result of these three men’s callous actions which could have quite easily been fatal.

“It is clear that this trio are very dangerous men who have now been brought to justice and will serve lengthy prison sentences.”